IP Masking?!

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by froggerplus, Mar 11, 2009.

1. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Hi everyone~

Recently I have been having issues with hackers wanting to get into my computer. Someone told me about IP masking (?), or somehow bouncing your IP multiple times so it can't be traced back to your actual location. How does one do that?

Thanks!
    Frogger

2. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

To help prevent unauthorised access to your PC, you will need to take steps to secure it. First make sure to set complex passwords for all accounts on the PC. Keep your machine's patches current. If you are using wireless make sure that you are using the highest encryption level supported by the router and clients. Set the wireless router's firewall to on. Also only allow the the number of PCs that you have to obtain IPs from the router(you have 2 PCs, give the router 2 addresses to assign). Turn on the windows firewall. Use up to date antivirus. Most access is from trojans on your PC. If you are sharing any folders on your PC remove the everyone group from the access control list. If you have more than one PC make sure that all are protected with the same steps above.

Masking the IP is probably beyond your needs or capabilities. Secure your PC instead. If you really believe that you are being hacked, please post the reasoning for your assumption.

3. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

I'm no computer guru, but for IP masking, as you describe it, it sounds like this site might help:

www.hidemyass.com

Interesting name huh? :lol:

4. froggerplus

Trev,

I respect your knowledge and opinion. Everything you have suggested I already do. While no a computer guru, I'm not completely oblivious.

As to the reasons behind my suspicion, well, no offense but they're mine and private. I don't accuse unless I have proof, hence the 'suspicion' instead of confirmation. Since my posting, however, a few more things have happened and it is becoming a more concrete thing.

Frogger

5. froggerplus

Zoo!

ROFL!!! I'll check it out, ty!

Froggie

6. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

I'll give you two answers....an answer to the question you asked and an answer I think you were really wanting.

No, IP masking will not keep hackers out of your computer. IP masking is simply a way of attempting to hide your true identity. In most cases, you'll have a static IP which doesn't change very often. If the suspected hacker already has this number, IP masking will do nothing for you. The correct way to keep him out of your computer is to use a good firewall and beware of information (be it files, links, etc.) sent to you.

Now what I think you really want to know, and I may be dead wrong on this, is how to hide your IP when surfing, etc. That can be done with the link Zoo posted. There are numerous sites you can use for this, or you can set it up manually. The best way to do this is to set it up manually and chain multiple proxies from different countries. This can get very complicated depending on how untouchable you want to be. ;)

7. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member