Laptop Help

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Sydney, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Sydney

Sydney Well-Known Member

Can you give me some advice?

I bought a laptop around July/August 2007. It is a HP Pavilion dv6000 with Windows Vista. During the first year, everything was fine. Around July/August of 2008, the wireless adaptor started messing up and quit on me. So, I had it sent to HP so they could fix it. I am not sure if they replaced the motherboard or something, but the problem was fixed and nothing significant happened until Christmas 2008.

This time, I noticed that the computer started to slow down when on the internet or just browsing through progams. In January, the computer started slowing down more and would kick me off of Internet Explorer. It said that the problem was caused by Windows and that I needed to install some Windows Updates. I installed a few around the beginning of February, and weeks later, the IE kept kicking me off more and freezing. When it froze, I could only use the restart it with the power button to get it to work properly, but it would still freeze again a couple of minutes or hours later. I figured that it probably had something to do with the updates, so I uninstalled some of the recent updates after December 08.

This helped to reduce some the problems. The computer did lag every once and a while, but the freezing stopped to once every couple of days instead of every hour. IE still kicked me off from time to time. After this time, the battery started to die. I don't know if this is natural or my fault (I keep it plugged in). Currently, it only charges to 59%. Last week, it was around 65-63%.

Today, the laptop started to freeze again after about a week or two of not having freezing problems. When I restarted with with the power button and it started to start up, the screen remained black while making beeping noises. I shut it off and on again, and it started up normally. Then, I reduced all of the updates for this year, and have not had a problem since.

BTW, everytime I start up my computer and go to IE, IE pops up and works for a while before shutting down and closing/restarting. Sometimes a pop up comes up to close the program, other times it asks if I want to close or restart it, but it always says that the problem could be fixed by installing some windows updates, which I don't do anymore. A couple of times, IE shut down rapidly without any of the "talking" from Vista, kind of like those annoying pop ups from websites. It shuts down like these examples only after I recently turned the computer on and click to start IE. After it shuts down, I click on it again, and it works fine (unless it decides to freeze later on, lol).

I currently only have Windows Firewall and Defender running. I know they suck, but I don't know any good cheap or free virus protection software or anything. Could you please give me the names of a few free ones that are downloadable, b/c I don't know if I will be able to buy any anytime soon.

2. Sydney

Sydney Well-Known Member

Thanks bettyboop, I'll look into it. :)

3. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

What BIOS version is the laptop running? It might tell you on the startup screen, or you may have to go into BIOS - F1, F2, etc. ... it may tell you on the startup screen - to see it. It may also be checked within Windows system information. The most current BIOS version for the dv6000 is F.D3 and according to HP, one of the critical enhancements for that version is an update to the fan control algorithm. Does the laptop have a temperature monitor (software)? Do you notice if it is running hotter than normal?

All critical Windows updates should be done. You should not skip them or back them out.

After BIOS and Windows updates are done, and you've rebooted for the last time, you should scan and clean up the drive of any unwanted cookies, temporary installation and Internet files (this can be done with disk cleanup), and spyware, malware, and viruses, and the drive should be checked for errors. The registry should also be cleaned up/straightened out.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  4. Sydney

Sydney Well-Known Member

It says:
    BIOS Version/Date F.3E
    SMBIOS Version 2.4

I tried to update the BIOS using the HP Update, but it said that it installed incorrectly b/c it was not the correct version for my laptop.

5. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

That model HP had some serious problems created by the cooling fan. I've sent 3 in this year alone to be repaired under the extended warranty link that FoxChassis gave you.

The reason for the bios update F3E was to get the fan to come on at a lower temperature. When you sent it in the first time they probably updated the bios and left the mainboard in it. The mainboard was probably already damaged and they should have replaced it. Your symptoms are typical to a heat related problem.

Are you using a 'wireless' connection when you experience the internet problems? If so your wireless circuit on the mainboard is going. It is one of the problems that are listed in the recall.

Check your model against that link. Follow the steps and if it qualifies call them and tell them the wireless is bad. If you use that pc to go there, get the numbers off the white UPC label on the bottom first.

7. MaryJo

MaryJo Well-Known Member

You mentioned anti-virus programs, etc. Sydney, so after you get your lapper back from HP, I would recommend to following programs. They are all free...

AVG Anti-Virus - I have been using this programs for over 3 years now and it works great! It is relatively "light" (doesn't take up a lot of resources) and in all the time I've used it I've NEVER had a virus infection. My only advice would be to set the automatic scan for a time like 3:00 AM because that does slow the PC down a little. Click on this link to get the program:

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

Ad-Aware - This is a free Spyware detection program that I've also been using for a long time and works great. AVG also has anti-spyware, so you may not want Ad-Aware, but I like the extra protection. You can get it here:

http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Anniversary-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?tag=mncol

Mozilla Firefox 2.0 - The best browser I've ever used! So much easier than IE and doesn't lockup at all. Never, EVER had a problem with it and it also has a built-in pop-up blocker. You'll never go back to IE after using FireFox! HOWEVER (and this is a biggie), I would only use version 2.0. Version 3 is out and can be found at www.mozilla.com, but I used it and hate it! It loads Google toolbars and extra stuff that is not needed. Mozilla seems to have "sold out" to the man with this version, but if you can get your hands on 2.0 I would grab it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  8. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Using Anti-Virus software is like putting a condom on after having sex. Someone has to get the virus before they know it exists and can write the fix to combat it.

Your odds of being the recipient prior to the fix are based on your ability to practice safe surfing, stupid email openings and your firewall.

I haven't used a virus software in 6 years. And to date, no infections here. Besides being resource hogs, virus software collects more data on you than a Virus. Also, Virus is old world. There's no money in a virus. Now, Spyware, hackers make money on spyware data collection and redirects. A good firewall will prevent 95% of spyware.