Alltel - Verizon merger

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DontCareHowYouDoItInNY, Jun 13, 2009.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

That's not 2 surprising to me.

I've been very happy with Alltel. I'm about ready to upgrade to a touchscreen phone and enter the 21st century :lol:

2. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

I upgraded to the touchscreen phone for about 2 weeks and sent it back. It wasn't very user friendly at all.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I can't decide whether to get the 'Pearl' (in Pink of course :mrgreen:) or the 'Banter' (in the black and white tattoo looking print).

Sassy, unfortunately you were given wrong info. I don't have an answer as to why, but it is wrong.

4. Tangerine

I have a pink pearl.

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

my only beef with it, is I am afraid it will be terribly abused floating around my purse...no flip to cover it and all....:confused:

6. Tangerine

It comes with a very simple purse case and you lock it so it won't dial. Bf doesn't lock his and when he puts it in his pocket so he calls me every time he sits down. Lol. But I have no problems with mine.

7. UsrNmsSuk

UsrNmsSuk Member

Just because VZW merged with Alltel does not mean that they have combined their equipment. That would be a major undertaking that I am sure they would not be willing to spend money on. At best they only claimed the rights to the towers that Alltel currently owns. The only real possibility that would cause your service to be worse is if they did away with leased towers that Alltel may have been paying for.

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

The switchover for Alltel customers to Verizon is supposed to be July 11th, I think. Just got my "survival guide" in the mail. Most major differences will be in the billing from what I can tell along with some changes in the phone entry codes to access certain features. I've been with the company since it was Sprint in the early nineties and weathered all the mergers and namechanges, so we'll just wait and see how it goes.

9. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

pink pearl

10. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We went down to the Verizon in Clayton last week. Worked with a very helpful and knowledgeable gentleman. Here is the scoop- with the Verizon take over (not a merge), Verizon is converting the Alltel towers to Verizon programming. Alltel customers will continue to experience problems and within the next year will have to either purchase a Verizon phone or may be able to have their Alltel phone reprogrammed to Verizon. I asked bluntly why Alltel would continue to sell phones and he said they have a huge surplus of phones they need to get rid of. I told him which Alltel plan we were on and he showed me a comparable Verizon plan that actually gave us more minutes and the second line for free for the same monthly cost. With Alltel I was paying for the second and third line but with Verizon I only pay for the third one. We purchased three new phones and are very happy with them. I now have service back at my home which I had lost with Alltel in the past few months. We were at the beach last weekend and also had much better service. I would highly recommend that you visit Verizon before you make an Alltel purchase.

11. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

???What???

I would be asking very bluntly why the heck *I* have to pay for new equipment, when they are the ones who took over and will make my equipment obsolete while I am still under contract.

12. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Sorry I should have been more detailed. Alltel customers will be offered free phones from Verizon-of course just as with Alltel, you pay if you want an upgraded phone from what is normally the free phone.

13. Cleopatra

OK! Thanks... I was thinking, "I got free phones, because I can't afford upgrades. How the heck am I going to purchase two phones?" :oops:

14. seabee

seabee Guest

relax... breathe deep... its a tad to early to get worked up already... have another cup a joe... :cheers::cheers:

15. Cleopatra

I've already met my quota for the day. Two cups.

16. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I have never had good service in the Walmart shopping center in Clayton. Since the Verizon store is directly across the street I hope that they can bring attention to that fact and improve it.

17. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

A lot of the info given to Luvgoose1 is incorrect. Both Alltel and Verizon use the exact same CDMA technology for their networks. Verizon phones can roam on Alltel's network and vice-versa. In fact they had a roaming agreement so each others customers could roam on each others network. Yes Verizon and Alltel have cell sites in different locations so coverage in certain areaswill be different. If you purchased a phone recently from Alltel your billing will just be converted to Verizon torward the end of this week and will start receiving a bill from Verizon. Your phone will still work. So to make a sale this helpful and knowledgeable sales rep just gave you a bunch of BS to make a sale.

18. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Never could understand that. You can step outside and get a decent signal. For a long time I wondered if it was the structure itself, similar to how phones lose signal in some concrete structures. However, my phones work fine in other stores like Target or other Wal-Marts.

Matter of fact, I bought one of my phones through Wal-Mart a couple of years ago and the guy in the electronics department couldn't hardly even get a signal out to set-up the phone.

One thing I noticed was when I switched to a digital phone from my old analog Motorola StarTAC a few years ago, it seemed to not be able to carry a signal as well. The phone prior to the StarTAC was one of those larger Motorola handhelds about the size of a chalkboard eraser. Now it had some range...and probably a boatload of radiation too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009