Recommend a laptop for 9 year old

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 1pittsburgh, Aug 14, 2009.

1. 1pittsburgh

1pittsburgh Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for what and where to purchase a laptop for a 9 year old? I looked online and there are some laptops by intel "schoolmate PC with 512MB/30GB. I am looking for something basically for my daughter to play games with some internet access and listen to her CD/DVDs. I am looking to spend no more than $400.00. The schoolmates start around $265.00 and $295.00 for the XP PC's. We just want the standard stuff.

2. mudd77

mudd77 Active Member

We bought our daughter a cheap Compaq from Best Buy when she was 6 and I have to say that it has been one of the best investments we have ever made. She has had it for a couple of years now and is on it all the time (Webkinz, Build a Bear, Kid's Pix, etc). You can get a decent laptop for under $400 these days. I would recommend that you get one with at least 2 GB of system memory. Here is one similar to the one we purchased my daughter:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9375936&type=product&id=1218094582077

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  3. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

We've ended up going back to desk tops for our children. Many of the games take so much memory we were running out of space on lap tops.

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Laptops break by just looking at them. Kids can be rough on them? If you're sure that's the route you want to go I would suggest the 10" mini's. I would'nt put higher value in a particular brand name as all manufacturers are predominantly using the same guts inside those smaller units.

With a kid using it I would suggest buying a damage warranty. These warranties don't have to be bought from the store where you purchase the unit. Much better pricing from the insurance companies on the web. Google laptop insurance.

I like the Acer Aspire One AOD250-1151 Netbook. Mainly because it's not loaded with Vista (Win XP) and it has above average performance for the $300 price tag.

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I see no reason to spend a lot (just my .02) on a computer for a child. I like the idea of a desktop and/or a separate game system. I haven't bought any more PC games since buying a Playstation. Before buying a game system, I'd buy a memory intensive game for my PC, and it would just end up running slow. Having a dedicated game system means memory commitment is solely to running the game.

If you got to have a portable computer, I'd go with a netbook, as well...especially for a 9YO.

7. carolinasun

carolinasun Well-Known Member

Almost all of my family are Engineers for HP in Colorado. I tend to lean toward them... I have HP everything... Watch the sales!!

8. mudd77

mudd77 Active Member

We have a Nintendo Wi, Nintendo DS and 2 Xbox 360's. When she's playing games, I can tell you that my 9 year old spends 99% of her time on the laptop. She, like most of her friends, are addicted to Webkinz, Build A Bear, Beanie Babies, etc. Each of the before mentioned has it's own online community catered to young children and uses minimal system resources. She also loves the art programs like Kid's Pix and Crayola Art Studio. She has even started to use her laptop to do research for her school projects. Go figure, I didn't use a computer until college. Like I said earlier, buying my daughter a laptop was one of the best investments that I have ever made (not to mention it kept her off of mine).

9. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

If I don't have a laptop, my 9 year isn't getting one lol.
    She has a computer that is a couple of years old and we both use it..if a laptop is even thought of here it will be mine!

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

That's my wife's mentality. She's been thinking about buying one for work, but other things just seem more important right now and its not like something she absolultely HAS to have. Honestly, I don't want a laptop. I'm on a desktop computer almost all day and then any casual use in the evening. I look forward to my time AWAY from a computer.

mudd77, I guess your advice is probably better suited for 1pittsburg since you both have daughters. We bought our son a Webkinz when all his friends had theirs. We went online, registered the doggie and that was the one and only time we've been online with it. He also got another Webkinz for Christmas and never even registered that one.

11. mudd77

mudd77 Active Member

Yeah, every child is different and we would of never thought about buying her a laptop until she started spending more and more time on mine. You are right it could end up being a huge waste of money if it does not grab the child's attention. I was kind of glad that she gravitated more to the computer as opposed to console gaming. She might actually learn something. I know I lose enough brain cells for the entire family with my gaming habit :)

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Recommend a laptop for 9 year old - Mom's or Dad's

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

OK, I'm 38 have NO KIDS, but there is no way in h-e double hockey sticks that I'd buy MY kid a laptop.

How about go OUTSIDE get some exercise, play with your friends, pick up frogs, pitch a tent, ride your bike/scooter (not a fan of them either), have a sleepover, learn how to compose and WRITE a letter.

Ok, I'm done, sorry I get on a tangent some time. :oops:

I realize that times are different, but I can tell you right NOW that there is NO way under the sun my kid GETS what their *friends* have OR what they want. I have a story that I could tell you about my friends kid, but I'll save that for another day. <you can't see me but I'm rolling my eyes> :lol:

<stepping off my soapbox now>

Good luck with your decision on a laptop for your kid. :cheers:

14. tigerlily

tigerlily Well-Known Member

laptops

my girls both got laptops last year for xmas, one is 16 the other 13, older one uses myspace on hers, younger one never uses hers except myspace so i cant see. they both use my pc for school stuff microsoft word for papers and the younger one plays mabinogi on the pc cause her laptop cant handle the amount of space needed,i use their laptops on trips so thats good for me to watch movies on .by the way we bought acer laptops from c. city, which are good

15. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Kids today have so much technology at their disposal and want to grow up sooner. When I was my son's age, I didn't dream of being an adult. Furthermore, schools are pushing kids (not necessarily a bad thing) to advance earlier.

I try to keep my boy well rounded. He plays video games, rides his bike or scooter, watches a little TV, studies music, draws well, constructs little towns with legos, etc. He reads books, writes well for his age (incl. cursive), etc. I don't push, but I do encourage a wide range of activities, especially his artistic/creative potential, because he seems geared that way.

He wants a laptop, but that is not something he needs. I've got an older desktop that I need to restore and that's likely what he'll get.

16. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

That's what my crew will have to share, as soon as I find a desk thats small enough for where I need to put it. :)

17. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

110% agree w/ HG! My husband is actually in the computer business and there is still no way my ELEMENTARY kids are getting one. Burns me up too. You know what our new neighbors said when they moved in? They were so happy to finally see kids outside playing! If kids are SO into the computer, then way on earth do the neighborhood kids end up here where they are made to be outside or playing games inside (not video)? Why, b/c it is freeing to play "normal, appropriate" kids stuff. Let them play with friends, find bugs, go swimming, climb trees, dance in their rooms, etc. Kids need to be imaginative in play. And YES, elementary kids should play. It did not kill any of us by not having a laptop at such a young age. Now, we do have a Wii but it has very limited use and mykids are fine w/ that. I ask them what they do at school w/ computers. Umm, play games. Yeh, that's learning folks. My middle schooler at Cleveland printed out pop culture pictures just to hang up onthe walls in her room. Yeh, that's productive use of computer time at school. And we wonder why kids scores are not what they used to be. If you can't tell already, I have a real problem w/ kids using computers. And what in the world do elementary kids have a need for a cell phone. I've seen 1st graders with them. URGHH. You alredy know where your kids are, why the cell phone? I just don't get it. I personally, don't think being "plugged in" as kids gives them a whole lot of benefit. Now, sorry if this offended anyone but I see kids losing a childhood at such a young age and it really hurts me. Computers expose them to a world that they are not nearly ready for. My 3rd grader last year asked all kinds of questions regarding sex things based on what his friend found on the computer. So, if you think they're playing games and innocent sites all the time, think again. My 16yo notified me last night of sites that frankly adults should not go to! Her friend that she was spending the night w/ was on them while the parents were sleeping. We are the parents and sometimes it is in the best interest of the children to say NO. Now, I know I'm going to get much flaming for this post but couldn't bottle it up anymore. Soapbox done.

Stephanie--mom to 7

18. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Harley I agree with you, my daughter does use the computer, BUT she is outside much more..mostly at my parents were all her big toys are..bike, gocart, ect. (my house has no place for her to use those things...but anyways..she is a outdoor kid, and she is dieing to have a sleep over so bad, we tried this weekend, but it fell through..she has been to several herself...
    I have no Wii here, none of those games, she does have a DS..
    Even though she has the Wii and Playstation at my parents house, she still spends more time outside..she is a amazing kid.

Now the only problem I have been having is the Cell phone, she wants one..she has no use for one..she has friends younger then her(she is 9) that has working cell phones..I was like you got to be kidding, one of them has a blackberry! He is like 7 or 8..not only can I not afford to get one for myself, there is no way in hell she is getting one I don't care how cheap it is....

19. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

At the orientation for my then third grader last year there was a kid in the hallway talking on the phone while the parents chatted with the teacher. I don't know that it belonged to her but it wouldn't surprise me.

20. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Staples has a good RTA computer desk that isn't too expensive and its rather compact. It is two-tier desk with a monitor platform and very sturdy. The platform is held up with two metal posts that have CD-ROM holders cut into them. The desk itself would be large enough to do some homework on, but also it has a pull-out keyboard tray. Then it has a two tier bottom with a raised platform for a printer. Its not even 36" wide, but plenty sufficient. The monitor shelf is about 23" wide, but will accomodate larger monitors so long as you put your speakers to the sides of the monitor shelf posts down below on the desk part. I want to think Staples used to carry them for about $70.00. That's actually what I use.

My son has a RTA Wal-Mart student desk that is pretty sturdy, as well but its all press board. Its about the same size of mine. I think they are cheaper, as well. Neither are very hard to put together.