Camping Decisions

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Luvgoose1, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Labor Day is fast approaching and we can't decide--the coast or mountains? Anyone else here with a travel trailer making plans to camp either place?

2. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

we just got back from Carolina Beach and had a blast. The campground was fair to say the least but close to everything it was in between Wilmington and Carolina. Not my favorite but one that I would go back to again. Very quiet and everyone was really friendly!

have fun

3. cece

cece Well-Known Member

We stayed at the KOA in Shalotte last year and really enjoyed it there. It is close to Myrtle Beach but not on the beach. There are pictures on the KOA site to show you what it looks like. The people there were super nice and the campground was nice and quiet.

There is a KOA in Wilmington also, but I don't know anything about that one.

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Support your state parks.

5. sassymom

I will tell you a lot of the state parks do not have hook ups for your travel trailers you need to check this since that is what you are taking, if going camping they are great, especially the one at Carolina, real nice

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

we just camp on the beach with tents at Carolina and love it:hurray:

7. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Check out Lake Leamon. Cool looking place on the way to the beach.... I-40 - exit 385, I think. You can google it.

8. sassymom

agree we bought the year pass and love it, plan on going in a few weeks!

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

we are going the weekend of 09/19 - maybe we will see ya there:cheers:

10. sassymom

I will let you know when we decide we are going to try and get a group together for maybe a friday night and all day sat...

11. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

If you want straight camping w/ nothing else around, I say check out the Uwharrie National Forest campgrounds near Badin Lake. I haven't stayed there, but we drove throguh there to check it out for a future trip. Looked like a neat place to camp, and it's cheap! Arrowhead Campround has electrical hookups and a dump station,

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm

I have friends who are headed up to Micaville (above Spruce Pine) camping that weekend. I will find out where they're going and post. EDIT: Haven't heard back yet, but I think it's here:
    http://www.linvillefalls.com/

EDIT again: No, they are going to Toe River Campground. They are going sight unseen (except for her brother who checked it out a week or so ago), so I can't recommend it one way or the other. Knowing her brother, there's no telling what it's like, LOL!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  12. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

We're going the weekend of 9/19 also!! Except we're going to Kure Beach for a wedding. We're going down Friday and staying at least thru Sunday...maybe longer!! :mrgreen:

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

cool, Kure Beach is not far from Carolina - we will have to get together, i think we are gonna leave Thurs pm and come back Sunday evening.

14. timlee

timlee Member

Surf city family camp ground

We go to surf city family campgroung right on the ocean very cheap I think it is $38 a night full hook-ups. very nice folks. we're going back in October to catch some fish hopefully.