WJHS Band Director Resigns

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmom, Nov 25, 2009.

1. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

http://www.wtsbradio.com/pages/localnews.html

2. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

WOW! What in the world!

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Heard about it Monday, but since we have no connection with the band, it wasn't big news.

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

The reason will eventually come out. That is a shock. He has done a great job of putting Johnston County on the map. Hope all is well by him.

5. AppleFritters

AppleFritters Well-Known Member

That is truly sad news. I do hope that his replacement shares his same vision. No matter what accolades that the band has achieved in the past, it will take a driven person with the same vision to keep the program at it's current level and take them to even higher heights. Although I am a non-West band parent, I always admired the success of the program. I wish the students and the program all the best. To the band members, staff, and supporters, keep your heads up.

6. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Article in todays Garner/Clayton newspaper says that Britt was pulled over for driving without insurance, told to call a tow truck/cab because he couldn't drive without it, then was caught driving the car again ten minutes later so was arrested.

I don't understand why he resigned if this is all that happened, this is just stupid stuff that has nothing to do with what a great band instructor he is. I don't think most people would care at all about this. I hope this was all that happened and that he just felt embarrassed or something, and that maybe he would consider coming back to one of the new high schools or something.

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

He's setting a BAD example for his students?

8. pocahontas

Nobody's perfect... it isn't the greatest example to set, you're right. But in the grand scheme of things--it really has nothing to do with his interaction with the students or his teaching ability. It could have been used as a great teaching moment by him, especially for high schoolers that are just starting to drive that look up to him. I guess it can still be used as a great teaching moment, by the parents.

I guess I just think he shouldn't have resigned, or been forced to resign if that is the case, over an issue of this type.

9. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

I agree with you HG.

I don't know if the information provided is completely accruate or not but our county is having a difficult enough time with teen drivers. This is an individual which some teens come in contact with on a daily basis and look up to.

He showed extremely poor judgment in getting back into that vehicle and driving, if this is in fact the case.

It has nothing to do with the excellence of his work and achievements but he is an example to teens who are of driving age. Do we really want our teens to think the decision he made was OK?

10. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Brings back memories of middle school when our principal used to arrive at school in a taxi because he had no license from being caught so many times for drunk driving. lol

Seriously, I hope Mr. Britt comes back. He's done wonders for the band and I don't think it will be the same without him.

11. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

So he comes to school with a copy of this mug shot and his 'rap sheet' and explains to the teens what not to do in this situation? He tells the teens to always make sure your auto insurance premiums are paid on time.

:?:

12. pocahontas

JMO.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  13. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

If you work for any schools, you must have NO arrest record. I figure this is a reason why he chose to leave his job before he get fired from HR.

14. pocahontas

I didn't know this (about the policy) but my high schooler came home and said this yesterday. I understand the policy, and it is probably for the best. I just know he was really great band instructor. Hopefully they will be able to find just as good of a replacement.

15. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

if he has a cdl for school buses(which maybe posible) he would have beenf ored to resign immediately...this is a policy by the board of ed not by said school

16. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

No ARREST record or no CONVICTIONS?

17. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

No convictions.....BUT.....in state government you can be fired following an internal investigation before or after you go to court whether you are convicted or not. If you are found not guilty by the courts.....but the internal investigation determined that you committed the offense/crime....you may still be dismissed.