possibly a new Convenience Store coming

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmom, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

FYI

2. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Correct. Same person who built the one next to Dollar General on 1010.

3. EngNCSU

EngNCSU Well-Known Member

Notice the location, right at the end of that crazy curve on Old Drug Store, can see lot's of accidents happening there as people fly around the corner run into people leaving or turning into a conv. store....BAD IDEA...that and the fact that there is one a mile south on 50, and the shopping center at 42/50. Why would you need a store here?

4. ahlsmiles

ahlsmiles Well-Known Member

wonder if indeed its going to be in there curve...i dont see where that is possible. it says the intersection of old drug store and 50. there is plenty of land accross the street from that stop light on the hwy 50 side.

Thats good....a close alternative to Don Lee's.

5. Grinder

Across the street there is a subdivision going in. It can not go there.

The person who is building the store evidently feels that there is a need for it. The land is available so he is going to build. The market always dictates commercial development.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

That intersection was re-engineered recently probably for the subdivision. I hope they were the ones who paid for it. It was kind of an odd redo to accommodate the subd and didn't seem to make the thoroughfare any better.

It is also very low lying area prone to flooding if I remember correctly. Near a creek, too. Great place for underground storage tanks.

JoCo will approve anything.

If someone wanted to put a daycare next to the railroad tracks and over a toxic waste site, I am sure it would get through.

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Wow, as if that screwed up intersection couldn't get any worse????

I think the engineer who concocted that mess should be required to drive through that intersection 2 to 3 times daily. Then have him (or her) tell me you don't want to change it????

And .... Is there a reason that red light can't be put on flashing red /yellow at night? Think of the combined fuel consumption being wasted at that red light every night from lack of good reasoning. No traffic for 3 miles and you sit in the dark waiting.:?

I'm not an engineer, but, neither are the people designing our local roads.:jester:

8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

brought to you by the wonderful NC DOT who have 2 lanes on I 40 between exit 289 (wade ave) and US 1 & 64 in Cary causing backups; and taking I 540 to 1 lane where it meets I 40 going west. Well thought out.

9. ahlsmiles

ahlsmiles Well-Known Member

DDRDAN!!! You hit the nail on the head! That intersection all kinds of messed up!!! I've sat at that light for what seems to be at least 5 mins waiting for the light to change to turn onto 50 at night.

10. EngNCSU

How are they going to put in gas tanks? That whole area is a swamp! The driveways to the store would have to be either in the middle of the curve, or right on top of the turn lanes....one of the reasons that DOT gave for moving the intersection(other than being paid for by Son-Lan) was so turn lane could be installed.....so on both roads that would border this property there will be turn lanes along the stores parking lot, BAD BAD BAD to have people turning in and out in the middle of the turn lanes....THINK CVS or McDonalds' on 42...

Send a letter/ email to Berry Gray at the planning department about your concerns, the Planning Board should not approve this

11. Grinder

Why dont you look at a site plan before you start screaming? The whole area is not a swamp. There is 100 year flood on some of the site, yes, but why dont you know more about what you are screaming about, before you scream?

markfnc likes this.
  12. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Best if you attend the meeting. In person is much better than letters.

13. markfnc

which corner of the intersection is it going?

14. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I looked at GIS. If only part of the area is covered by the 100 year flood plain (which is a surface delineation) then the water table will not be far away.

I realize permits are needed from DENR for underground tanks of this nature and they surely must know what they are doing, but it just seems like a bad idea.

15. markfnc

If it is going on the northeast corner, water would not be that much of a problem. Even in the worst flooding (not 100 year), i have seen there it was into the old mobile home area on the southeast corner, but not up to that house on that corner, and not over the bridge. With housing going in on the west side, i figure it is going on the east side.

16. markfnc

Do you know which corner it is going on?

17. EngNCSU

Looks to me like it is going in the southeast corner, where the large for sale is. That is also where the public hearing sign was placed. I think the issue with water is the underground water table, and the placement of underground tanks in that area, not just surface water.

Where are the driveways going to go? Like I side before you have turn lanes for the signal on both sides, a nasty curve on ODS, and a bridge over Middle Creek on NC 50. I don't see how they can SAFELY place a driveway in the middle of a turn lane, or on the curve, that is a really bad choice of locations.....and it is likely that the store will request more than one driveway.

18. EngNCSU

Anybody know what happened with this case at the PB meeting?

19. markfnc

Coryea Country Store has reopened under new ownership. (NC 50/Old Drug Store Rd)