Living in Clayton town limits

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by LansingDr, Feb 13, 2010.

1. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

I have a friend who looked at purchasing a home (off Dairy Rd area). She heard that there is a surcharge for power and water if you live within town limits??. Anyone shed some light on this? (no pun intended..haha)

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I'm not in the limits, by my understanding is that there is a co-op for power in the village limits and that it is higher than Progress Energy direct.

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  4. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

It all depends on where. I live in the city limits but still get my power through Progress Energy and its lower than when I lived in Cleveland area. However, the other side of the s/d across 42 has it through the town. We called the town of Clayton before we purchased to get the previous owners average bill amounts and that is when we found out it was through PE.

Our water, sewer and trash all come on one bill and that is averaging around 50 per month, 1600 sq foot house.

5. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

You would also have to pay city property taxes on top of your regular county taxes,at least that's how it was when we lived in Clayton.

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

When we were looking at houses we actually looked at 2 in Clayton city limits as well as 2 in downtown Benson...came very close to buying one in Benson. I changed my mind when I researched power and property tax. Power would have been almost double what we were used to paying and property taxes were double. We decided to stay out of city limits.

7. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

If you are getting the power from Progress Energy, it is cheaper than getting it from the town of Clayton. When we lived in town, our utilities were high and our sewer bill was almost double what our water bill was. We won't live in City Limits again. Prefer to be ouside of the limits.

8. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Clayton buys their power from Progress and then re-sells it back to their customers at a higher rate. That is a major reason that when were was new development in Clayton, they opted to hook up with Progress. It is a strike against any home that is hooked up to ToC power because of the price difference.

9. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

We live in the city limits of Clayton but we have power straight from Progress. We have to pay city taxes. Water bill (including sewer) and trash/recycling is about $70 a month for us. We do alot of laundry.

10. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

The Town of Clayton buys power from Electric Cities. Electric Cities buys power from Progress Energy. I lived in Clayton, and I moved. I do not miss that electric bill!

11. greengoddess

greengoddess Active Member

We live in Clayton town limits as well. We have Progress Energy so our bill has always been reasonable. Water, sewer and trash runs about $50 per month. I've lived here for almost 13 years and love it!