Amazon Refuses North Carolina's Demands for Customers' Personal Data

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

2. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

3. Rockyv58

This is the only state I have ever lived in where they tax you every year on your vehicle. And every six months adjust the gas tax. Then they want to make us pay tolls on the roads that go no where.

Next thing you'll see, they'll want to tax us on the stuff we buy out of state and bring back into state.

I don't buy much off of amazon but if they can hold out I think I will start.

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Last I heard, NC had the most miles of paved roads in the Nation. Too bad most of them need to be repaved.

5. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

They already do - it's called "use tax" and that's what you're supposed to pay the state every April based on what you buy from companies like Amazon that don't have a physical presence here.

But nobody pays it. In general. I know I pay it every year because I understand the importance of paying your fair share of taxes and how that money goes for special programs like parties at the Governor's Mansion.

I digress...

And with the new tax laws, the state thinks it can force Amazon to retro-pay it....seven years worth. But the state wants your personal data in case Amazon won't budge...so the state can come after all of us.

6. and what party has run this state for the last million years?

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The use tax is not enforced. If they state wins I certainly hope that it is going forward and not retro-active. I think this is bogus to begin with, but when you make it retro-active I think you are getting a little bit too greedy.

8. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

That's a main reason Amazon is fighting it. The state wants those seven years worth of taxes.

9. Rockyv58

I know I will take a hit on this, but instead of the state trying to collect back and future taxes from Amazon they really need to close tax loopholes on the top 10% wage earners. Or even just the top 1%.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

DH and I were just discussing this tonight. How much money are they going to waste trying to track down what folks have and have not paid taxes on? I have no earthly idea what if anything we've purchased from Amazon, etc. and whether NC sales tax was on there or not. If they want to track it down and send me a bill, then I will pay it. It can't be much, we don't buy all that much online. :?

11. Troybaldwin

Troybaldwin Member

I Do not think they need to be taxing us on it either just like i feel they don't need to be taxing us on our federal income tax refund we already paid taxes on that money they don't need to tax us again on something they already collected taxes on