Another WJHS senior killed in accident today

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, May 15, 2010.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Even though I stated teens shouldn't swerve, it really depends on the situation. The problem with swerving at highway/interstate speed is the great likelihood of the vehicle losing control and it can happen on a FWD, RWD or AWD vehicle. Also, if a teen swerves one direction they may sideswipe another car or if they swerve to the right, they may run off the road and flip. Instinctively many folks (inexperienced drivers, especially) will jerk the steering wheel back to left when hitting the shoulder and doing so can get you killed at highway speed, because you're likely to flip your vehicle over and doing 70mph means multiple rolls.

There are some big white-tails out there. I had a big buck jump out in front of me one night coming out of Kinston back toward Goldsboro near the Electrolux plant. I was beside a tour bus and he jumped from the median, bounded about twice in front of me and with one big leap, dashed in front of the bus narrowly missing it. He had a nice rack and certainly he could have done personal damage coming through the windshield...BUT I'd rather take the chance on striking the deer because maintaining control is dependent on traction.

Also brings up a valid point that at night, its entirely possible for a deer to cross paths with a car. I have read somewhere that in NC, a person is usually within about a mile or two of three deer at any given time. Something like that. At night (especially early morning hours) people need to drive slower and anticipate deer from the woods. Lower speed typically means less severity of damage in a car-animal collision.

2. Oy Vayayay

Oy Vayayay Well-Known Member

When I hit the one on 42 coming out of Fuquay Varina, it was about an hour after dark on my way home from work. There were cars coming the other way, and the deer darted across the road between us. I didn't even see it until just as the passenger side of my car was striking its hind quarters. I was going about 45 MPH or so. Didn't kill it, either. When the police arrived, we looked for it, and it was nowhere to be found.

3. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Why would a kid be out at 4:45 in the morning?

4. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Comprehensive insurance will cover your car if you hit the deer.

Collision (if you have it, and you will if it is financed) will cover if you swerve and hit the mailbox, ditch, tree, etc.

Biggest difference, is Comprehensive insurance paying will not make your premiums go up......collision insurance paying will make your insurance go up for three years.

That is why it is important to call law enforcement as soon as you hit a deer to get a report and hopefully find the deer, many times they will get hit and got several yards and die, so that you have proof that you actually hit a deer.

5. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

My child knows them both and there are a few stories floating out there as to why they were on the road at that time, but there's no reason to perpetuate rumors. I will say, however, that I grew up in Michigan and back then you got your learner's permit at 16 and your license at 17. I was shocked when my kids started driving and I found out that they could get their permit at 15 and license at 16! That's absolutely insane if you ask me. I didn't let my kids get their licenses until they were 17, and I'm damn glad I did it. I didn't even let them ride with a licensed driver under 17. I don't know how old the driver in this case was or if it would have made a difference, but I think giving a 16 year old a deadly weapon and turning them loose with it is ridiculous.

I've already written to the DMV and asked that the ages be changed for 15 & 16 to 16 & 17. I hope you will, too.

6. Oy Vayayay

Oy Vayayay Well-Known Member

Actually, when I hit the deer in NC, it was covered under my comprehensive. When I moved to PA and a new policy had to be written, the fact that I had a claim did affect the price.

BOHICA.

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Been wondering the exact same thing in our household.

Sherry

8. Sherry A.

I was taught that deer normally travel in packs, which means don't swerve as one might hit another deer coming your direction. I was taught to step on the breaks and sit for a few minutes, which will also calm the driver down.....that part would be for those without cars behind them and, I'm guessing here, even if cars are behind you. Those cars would probably see what is happening and would certainly see a car stopped and stop themselves.

Sherry

9. AppleFritters

AppleFritters Well-Known Member

I take no offense to your response. But on my daily commute I saw a huge deer dart out in front of a work van on I40 eastbound right after the airport exit. The impact tore up the front-end and smoke, I assume from the radiator was everywhere. It was a miracle that the driver was able to get to the shoulder and not hit anyone else. And that IMO comes with experience behind the wheel. With another younger or less experienced driver the outcome may have been extremely different. You are are brave soul behind the wheel with nerves of steel. I guess all I was trying to say is some things come with age and experience and to expect that of some people especially these new drivers may be asking just a bit much. I don't even know at my age if I have your nerves.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's not nerves of steel, trust me, LOL!! :cheers: I was just always taught that it's better to hit the animal because it will "give" more than a tree or whatever is alongside the road. I've seen the aftermath of more than one deer accident as well. My mom hit two in a two week time period. :? However, swerving is rarely ever the best option and I'd hesitate to tell an in-experienced driver that's what they ought to do, especailly with the large danger of over-correction. More than likely, the deer is going to tear the crap out of your car, but less so than a tree or concrete barrier would.

DH had a coworker once who hit one driving one of those little Honda CRX's, the deer ended up in the car with him. The guy escaped with minor injuries, the deer and car were not so lucky, it was NASTY.

I had three at one time run out in front of my truck before we made the first payment on it, I was shaking by the time I got it stopped, both feet on the brakes (thank you ABS!), but if I had swerved where I was at, I would have ended up in a rock wall. I'll take the deer...........................

11. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

My daughter said a teacher told her the driver was texting while driving and then swerved to miss the deer. I said how do you know they were texting? She said the teacher told her that she had spoken w/ the police that came to the school today. Don't know if this is true but if that is, what a true shame. I would never have been out at 4am as a high schooler. Never. My parents would have killed me first! I do hope teen drivers really start to think about decisions they make.

stephanie--mom to 7

12. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

actually, i believe it already has changed. somebody with a recent teen will have to clarify, but i'm thinking it's restricted permit until 16.5, then you can only have like one other teenager in the car until 18. anyway, it's more graduated than it was when i got my permit at 15.5 and license at 16.

13. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Should have stayed in NC!!

14. Sherry A.

You are on the right "road". NC is one of the states on a "tiered" driving schedule for teens. I do remember that at a certain point teens must be home by 9:00 pm before they are allowed to drive unrestricted and they can only have one passenger in the car.

In saying all this let me remind people.......parents must adhere to these laws as well and if they allow teens who should be home by 9:00 pm to drive later no law will work. Same with the number of passengers. Parents must really be parents during this time because teens will try to push it.

Sherry

http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=136&languageId=1&contentId=13694

Excerpt:

While each state's scheme differs slightly, graduated-licensing programs are typically spread over three phases. Phase I usually begins with a young driver 15 or 16 years of age, who is granted a learner's permit calling for driving supervision by a licensed adult for six months.

Provided the neophyte motorist accrues no citations or accidents during the learner's permit phase, the next step up the ladder is a provisional license that often imposes nighttime driving curfews and restrictions on how many passengers the provisional licensee can haul.

Following a year or so with no speeding tickets, minor traffic infractions, or accidents where the young driver is to blame, the now more experienced -- and presumably wiser teen motorist is awarded an unrestricted driver's license.

15. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

I don't know the statistics, but this graduated license horse-hockey doesn't seem very effective when all these teens are dying. It's time to try something different. Find a state with a comparable population but with fewer teen deaths, and adopt that model.

16. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Personally. I think if your child does something stupid...The parents should be held responsible. This kids parents.....where were they and how responsible to let your kid roam freely at 4 in the morning. Lets start back with corporal punishment. Whip your kids you irresposible parents! WHIP THEM! The next time I am in a eatery...and your little snot nosed kids you think are so procious start interrupting my meal due to running all over the place...screaming....farting....etc. I am getting up. I am taking off my belt. I am going to whoop your tail for not teaching your kids any better!

17. Sherry A.

I'm not sure if changing our laws will change the way teens act behind the wheel or not. It really starts at home.

When I grew up some teens drove fast but most raced at a certain spot and not on regular roads. I am aware that I drove fast when I realized I was getting close to curfew as my dad did not put up with being late. Most teens drove lower than the speed limit either because they were afraid due to non experience or they had something in the system that made them a little nervous to drive home.

Also, in thinking about growing up let me add this....not as many teens had cars as do in today's world.

It's certainly something our County needs to take serious, look at many options and make a decision on.

Sherry

18. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

If that's true (texting) - then maybe thats why they pressed charges.
    What a shame - for them all.... :cry:

19. mom24

mom24 Well-Known Member

Stephanie this isn't meant negative towards you but shame on that teacher for fueling the rumors that are going around. In all of the publications it hasn't said anything about texting. Also shame on the police officer as well for telling the teacher. This is a horrible situation no matter how it happened.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  20. mom24

mom24 Well-Known Member

You can't whip a 17 year old! I'm not saying this is what happened but you don't know where the parents thought the girls where. Teens tell their parents one thing and do another all the time.