How to get rid of Snakes?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by roca1216, Jun 19, 2010.

1. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

I went out this morning and found 2 black snakes in my yard. I know they can be good and eat rodents and keep the bad snakes away but a snake is a snake! I have put of snake repellent from Lowes about 2 weeks ago after I found a snake in my garage. I dont want to kill them just keep them away. Any suggestions?

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

3. TVfan

TVfan Active Member

I saw "Billy the Exterminator" last week on TV and he sprayed a clients yard and around their pond with garlic juice. He said it would keep snakes from coming on the property.

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Always heard that a cat would keep the snakes away.

5. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

sulfur powder is commonly sold as snakeaway.

6. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

Thanks Everyone!

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Michelle,
    as I recall that was the only advice I got last year...j/k

haven;t seen mine yet, but just know she's had a passel of snakelets, and they're all waiting for me to goto sleep so they can slither up the bed, and all over me...(and my doctor can't figure out why I have insomnia...lol)

9. dangerboy

better snakes than spiders! eeewwww!

DB's wife

10. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

Just a little background. I have a phobia about snakes. Just like people are afraid of heights,tight places etc. I can't even stand green snakes- no snakes period.

So my son buys one of those rubber(or whatever it is) snakes that grown if you let it stay in a bowl of water. I thought I ok with it. It had grown enough I thought, so I just dumped it out in the kitchen sick. My husband and kids were home and in the kitchen also. When I dumped the bowl of water out the snack kind of flopped out last and freaked me out.

so I took off running and screaming(I'm 41 and a little chunky) thru the house to the bedroom. They came in the bedroom with the snake chasing me(it's a rubber snake still) I ran into the closet. I didn't hear anything so I opened the closet door and they threw the snake in. I started screaming again because I had slammed the closet door with the snake in there with me. So when I opened the door I stepped on the snake(I'm crying by now, they are crying laughing). I ran into the other bathroom and locked the door. I was afraid to come out. So I cleaned that bathroom while I was in there. The husband is still on punishment and the snake is in the trash! I know I could have won on the funniest videos.

We use mothballs around the parimeter of our yard.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:lol::lol::lol:

12. dangerboy

to me the funniest part of this story is that u took the time to clean the bathroom while you were trapped in it!

DB's wife

13. Keep a dead one in your yard. They will get the message.

14. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

Of there is no prey, there will be no snakes.
    Kill the mice/rats with whatever method you prefer- poison, traps, removal of food sources and the snakes will go somewhere else where there is food for them.

All animals need food, water, shelter, space - take away one or more of these and the animal will leave. Bird feeders are a common attractant for mice. In addition, black snakes will prey upon small birds, baby rabbits and young squirrels. Some other types of snakes like frogs/toads or lizards. Some kinds even eat bugs. Copperheads are also fond of mice/rats. So if you get rid of the black snake, but still have the mice, a copperhead could move in. Personally, I prefer the black snake. Mice can also carry disease, like hantavirus - snakes never carry disease to humans.

I was very sad that my cat killed the black snake I had discovered in my feed room, as I am sure the snake was responsible for keeping the mice out of the livestock feed. The cat is less effective at mouse control.

15. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Hey, that supposedly worked for pirates. The colony of Virginia put Blackbeard's head on a stake beside the (I think) Jamestown River. The dead snake might work. Certainly would put a shiver in my slither.

You know, I have always shyed away from snakes...even the supposedly tame ones, but I was at a place awhile back that had snakes and got a chance to not only handle a fairly small ball python but to place it around my neck. It wasn't that bad and didn't feel anywhere like I thought it would. Instead of it being scalely (like a fish), it was smooth, slightly damp and cool. It was actually similar to a dog's nose. No bigger than it was though (about 3 feet) you could sense its strength in its muscles. Put aside what it is, and its fascinating, however I do not plan on ever owning one. I'll stick with a dog or cat.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010