Dog Bordatella Shot

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Jun 25, 2010.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Hey, does anyone know where I can get my dog a bordatella shot and a fecal exam without paying for an exam? My dog had an exam exactly 3 months ago but I couldn't afford the shots then, and now I have to pay all over again to get the shot:(

2. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Petsmart vet USED to have a few hour window twice a week that you only paid for serviced rendered-no exam/office fee. I don't know if they still to that. You may want to call and ask.

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Did you take your dog into Food Lion?

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

H#ll NO, My dog stays home where she belongs! I hate that too where people bring their pets into the stores. Please............. They can't leave the dog at home for that little amount of time............Please........... Now I will call Petsmart,,,,,,,,,,, does anyone else know where I can get shots without a repeat exam?

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

From the sound of things... it could probably get shot at Food Lion. OK, bad joke.

Have you called Old Stage Rd Vet? I have heard good things about them as far as being very reasonable.

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

We use Plantation Animal Hospital in east Clayton. 359-9977
    Dr. Huff is awesome!

7. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I think you can also purchase it at a farm supply store?? I know you can get it online for about $4. The fecal is a harder thing to do yourself! LOL

You just squirt it up their nose... (but get two, one to do a repeat booster in a month)

8. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

We have gone the do-it-yourself route for the Bordatella...you can purchase it at Agrisupply in Garner, off of Hwy 70. Then our kennel owner just requires the receipt/proof of purchase for her records.

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I thought the fecal exam was sticking up the butt and checking the stool? So you are saying it is a shot up the nose? I can get the fecal and bordatella both at Agri Supply? Otherwise it is going to cost me like 180. to get 2 dogs done who just got their annual checkup and shots 3 months ago at the vet. They want to charge another vet exam price to give the bordatella and fecal! Definitely can't afford that.

10. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Sorry-- my post was confusing.

The bordatella is the thing you can buy and squirt up their nose... fecal is actually looking at poo under a microscope!

I think most vets will let you drop off a stool sample and do a fecal for a flat fee.

11. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

OK! Think I will try all suggestions! Anymore, keep them coming! Thanks everyone!

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I called both Petsmarts in Garner, they both have to do an exam. One wants 57 dollars per dog for the boardatella & fecal & exam, and the other one wants 80 dollars per dog for the same thing! Can't I just get the shot and fecal somewhere and show both dogs had an exam 3 months ago.? But it is still way cheaper than what the dogs regular vet wants to charge. Just money making I tell ya.

13. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for.

14. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Just curious as to why you want a fecal ? Did your

vet not do that as part of the exam a few months back ?

Although fecals are beneficial for the parasites you cannot see, then just buy some good dewormer & give them --- it won't hurt them if they don't have parasites.

As for the bordetella - easy to do yourself if you go purchase. Just got to be careful you get it in their nose (ie... they may shake their head away). My vet stated that as long as 1/2 got in then that was acceptable (no repeat needed).

You could call Old Stage vets -- they are very reasonably priced. I'd think if you explain & can show proof that dog had exam a few months ago then a vet may be willing ....

I dunno for sure tho -- lately seems vets are all in it for the $$$ as the main issue on hand. I understand they have expenses but at same token don't try to "force things" being done.

Also about fecal/deworming ..if you give your dog a monthly HW preventative, most of these are like a dewormer as well on the basic parasites so dog should be fine... unless of course you've seen worms which is why you want fecal. Your vet should be willing to let you take a (Fresh) sample in there to check for concerns (although I know a few who won't and that sucks....)

15. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Oh, Bone Voyage requires proof of a fecal exam and a boardatella shot to board your dogs. Oh well, can't win. More money out the window. Got to do it, my fault, my loss. I'll survive! Thanks everyone.

16. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

:iagree:

I think it's more for your dog's health then "money making"

17. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

But I don't pay for a complete physical every time I go to the doctor sick, and I get medicine,,,, I just feel I shouldn't pay for a complete physical again to get another shot for the dogs, that's all. Maybe half a physical:)

18. Snuffyjo

Snuffyjo Well-Known Member

I am pretty certain Bone Voyage is the only kennel in the area that requires a fecal....maybe you could find another kennel and do the bordatella yourself, just keep the labels off the vile for proof.

19. shelly3

shelly3 Active Member

I just took my dog for the Bordatella and deworming at Plantation animal hospital. Just a tech visit is needed- The bordatella was 15.75 and the dewormer was 25.

20. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

How much was the tech visit?