Cavs owner fined $100,000 for LeBron comments

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by VolleyGrl, Jul 13, 2010.

1. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

W..T..F? You have got to be kidding me! This overpaid idiot LeBron can make a spectacle out of his announcement, but this owner can't make the statement that he did. Shame on the NBA for imposing this fine. I'm glad at least that idiot Jesse Jackson's comments got addressed and was somewhat denounced although in the end it sounded like a bunch of butt kissing. Frankly the whole thing is sickening when it comes to the greed, etc. but $100,000 for speaking his mind is a bit much in light of how everything else went down with this.

P.S. shame on the media for playing into LeBron's ego like they did.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/07/12/stern.decision.ap/

2. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

All the money Lebron gained from the "spectacle" went to charity.

3. VolleyGrl

And the stroking of his ego was priceless. 8)

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Look how long it took Michael Jordan to win his first NBA title. Many of those seasons, he carried the Bulls on his back to the playoffs only to lose. He brought the Bulls several years of glory as the team to beat and he is beloved for it by Chicago fans, even after the brief return with the Wizards. It's often part of the trials of success. Lebron James should have stuck with the Cavs. He was the backbone of the franchise and likely within a 2 or 3 seasons, might have had the chance to go to the Finals while building a dynasty. In Miami, he will be one of several talents that will be under a lot of pressure to deliver a title next season or the next. If he doesn't deliver, his claim to fame will be the Cleveland fiasco. Perhaps he's just too impatient and sees Kobe Bryant's success and covets it. I'm sure that his ego is driving a lot of the decision. He really disrespected Cleveland fans the way he conducted himself.

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I have been keeping up with all of this, not real sure why because I am a football fan, but I have to say a few things.

The Cav guy incited riots and violence. No reason in my mind for any of that kind of behavior.

LeBron brought media attention to the Boys and Girls Club, which was wonderful.

LeBron was looking out for his family, a team and himself when he made his decision. Good thing for everyone else in the world, why not him?

As far as I am aware LeBron still has not said anything bad about his last coach and team. What a gentleman.

Role model.......probably so in my mind........I'll hold that judgment in me for the next couple of years.

Sherry

6. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

The comments probably did more harm than good. I have to think that many free agents will steer clear of Cleveland, as they won't want the same treatment on their way out the door in a few years.

7. VolleyGrl

LeBron brought media attention on himself. I never once heard about the Boys and Girls club on the media bites I heard. There was absolutly no reason in the world for him to have done what he did. He could have quietly donated his own money (not this ego money he got) to the Boys and Girls club instead of putting himself on a public pedastal. Quietly made his decision and made the move. And the riots would have probably happened without the statement and that is all because of the way Lebron chose to handle the situation. I'm not sure how you can argue that what he did was right and call him a gentleman :?

What message is he sending the Boys and Girls club kids I wonder? How about a little humility? That would have been nice.

8. VolleyGrl

I'm also sure if the dollar signs and circumstances are right they won't give a flip about what happens on their way out the door.

9. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

The event was actually held at the boys and girls club and his business manager is the one who came up with the idea to buy tv time. Lebron, I'm assuming, then said ok with the stipulation that any ad money went to the charity. The guy gives back a lot of his time and money, which he doesnt have to do. This is coming from someone who hates the NBA in general and sees most of the league as a bunch of thugs, but I'll give credit where its due.

10. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

by the reaction of the NBA, apparently the truth hurts.