Helping Soldiers at Fort Benning, GA

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Jenna's Mom, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

My brother is coming home from Iraq! Yay! He's part of a advance party to set things up for the rest of the guys when they return.

Anyway, he told us over the phone of a need that often goes unlooked. My mom and I didn't even know about this need despite years of being a military wife and in my case child.

This need, is for linens for returning troops. Single soldiers returning from overseas often are placed in temporary housing in the barracks. Many of these soldiers return to practically nothing in these bare bones rooms for 2 to 4(usually just bunks, a dresser, a desk, and a shared latrine with another room). No sheets, no towels, no washcloths. Some of these soldiers will continue to live in the barracks for several weeks while finalizing housing arrangements off or on base. Those without family in the area may find themselves without access to vehicles to travel to pick up these needed supplies.

He's asking us (his mom and I) to help spread word of this need to churches and other civic groups that may be able to help. He will be sending some details later about exactly what they need, but he says there's about 1300 (and possibly 13,000 mom isn't sure the number he said) single soldiers that would be needing these supplies when they return I believe at the beginning of October.

For now, we figure twin size bed linens, bath towels, and wash cloths. Let's help welcome home these heroes from overseas and show our appreciation for what they do. If you're interested in helping, please post here and/or e-mail me at rivkah_of_cathanar@yahoo.com

Leanna

2. DogsRule

DogsRule Member

Keep me posted. I would be interested in seeing if this is a problem at Ft Bragg as well.