american hero

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by lori-beth, Aug 6, 2010.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Um, the sign read FREE 8" HERO and that's ALL that it said. If I have to buy something to get that free sub and it's not CLEARLY stated on the banner then that is false advertising. I've been in advertising/marketing for over 23 years. I think I know what I'm talking about, and that's more than my humble opinion . . . it's the law. :?

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

LOL.....maybe you couldn't read the ultra fine print that was printed on the backside folded under portion of the banner that was printed in a size .5 font instead of the massive front side of the banner printed in 10 million size font.

:jester:

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

oh, so it didn't say "no purchase necessary"? well, then, i guess the sign didn't lie, the wording with the buy requirement is clear at the door(i've seen it hundreds of times at the clayton store), and they're within the law.

not my first advertising rodeo, either

4. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

i think most of you missed something....
    "American Hero"
    and they don't speak English?????

That's all i need. that alone is false advertising...lol

5. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

Dangerboy,
    you are clearly wrong! The sign does not have to say that "no purchase necessary". Any Ad that says "Free" something is required to list the conditions of the offer. Since no conditions are stated a reasonable person can assume that they are giving away a free sub with no purchase required. Michelle is absolutley right. The sign is a banner that is probably 6 feet long. It only mentions a Free 8" Sub. There is no fine print. It is false advertising. Mcdonalds gives away free products occasionally (e.g. coffee drinks) to get people to try it. So it is not unreasonable to think that other retailers would do the same!

The North Carolina General Statute
    106‑138. False advertising.

(a) An advertisement of a food, drug, device or cosmetic shall be deemed to be false if it is false or misleading in any particular.

6. michelle

Thank you. I'm glad someone else understands what FALSE advertising means. :cheers:

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

in America the name often given to the types of sandwiches they serve is Hero, which probably why they named it that.

If they are legal, pay their taxes, why condemn their business without trying them.

P.S. My understanding is they speak English, so if that is your excuse to hate them you might want to get another one.

8. dangerboy

ok, then. explain to me exactly which part is false? "free"? i don't think so. you most certainly can get a free 8 inch sub there. is the free 8 inch sub at american hero? why yes, yes it is. not misleading.

you know, i may be arguing out of turn regarding the 42 store, but i've seen the banner in clayton a hundred times and it's a clear as an unmuddied lake under an azure sky of deepest summer. i still say it's unreasonable to expect a free sub without condition, unless "no purchase necessary" is included, or it's a previously-advertised promotion like the ones you mentioned. you can post the statute all you want, but untill they are held in contempt of said statute, i have to assume they are within the law. the small sign with "american hero free 8 inch sub" has been out by highway 70 for 5 years or more, and if it was noncompliant, some nitpicky knowitall would have forced them to remove it by now. the banner at the front door has been hanging there that long, too, and it's always stated you have to buy one to get one.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  9. michelle

The point is the sign says FREE 8" HERO. Nowhere on the banner does it say "with purchase, buy one get one, or anything of the sort, so a reasonable person would assume that you get a free 8" hero at that establishment. Is it uncommon for businesses to give away free food? NO. Remember when Subway gave away subs all day long on April 15, along with several other businesses. As mentioned earlier, McDonald's has tons of coupons out right now for a free fruit smoothie or Frappe. So, not an uncommon business practice.

The first time I saw the banner I honestly thought that they were giving them away for free because they were a new business to the 42 area and they wanted people to see just how great their subs were. It wasn't until hubby made a delivery there that he told me that you had to buy one to get the free one.

Someone must have turned them in because I have not seen the banner up in a while.

10. dangerboy

i disagree that it is reasonable to expect the free sub, but whatever. the subway thing was on TAX DAY, not a random wednesday, and the mcdonald's thing is a national rollout of a new product. a local sub shop offering a bogo is not exactly the same.

the setup they have in clayton as i described must be ok due to the length of time it's been there. if they failed to disclose on 42, then i guess they were doing it wrong and took it down. they do speak english, but maybe don't fully get a few nuances? still no reason to run them down long after they removed the sign imho. it was a mistake, they corrected it.

again, i know less about the 42 store, so there ya go

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  11. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

wow, some of you care way too much about food.

12. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

Dangerboy,
    clearly Michelle or myself will not change your mind. I can live with that.

Michelle,
    That banner has bugged me everytime that I have seen it. I never stopped and tried to collect my free sub, but I have been tempted many times. If I am feeling fiesty some day when they have it up - I just might give it a try.

13. michelle

LOL, call me and I'll go with you! :cheers:

14. dangerboy

that's what makes the world go 'round...

:cheers:

15. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

There is plenty of room on that sign to write in "with purchase". :neutral:

16. radiofrog00

radiofrog00 Member

Ok.. so I never comment, but I'll chime in here. Here's what the coupon said

"Get TWO (2) Gyro Pita OR Steak & Cheese Sub combo meals, which include chips and fountain drinks, for just $8 -- 50 percent off the regular price of $16"

I actually used the same coupon there without a problem - 2 cheesesteaks, 2 chips, 2 drinks.. I paid tax .50c or something. It was a buy one get one deal, not a "up to $16 deal". If you decided on a gyro and a cheesesteak, you should have gotten a gyro, a cheesesteak, 2 chips, 2 drinks - and that's it.

17. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

BUT that is not $16. That is my point. If I paid $8 for $16 worth of food, I should expect to get $16 worth of food- right? Am I missing something? I thought it would be the large Cheesesteak, not the small (or something to make it equal $16??)

When I looked at the menu prices and it was LESS than $16 and I asked for an explanation and couldn't get one...

18. Smudger

Smudger Well-Known Member

For Lease-old sub shop strike 3 and theyre outta there too

19. dangerboy

haha ok negative nancy. which restaurant do you work at? you seem to be trying to prematurely declare the deaths of 2 new places. neither is a startup, friend. they'll adapt, and both will likely be here a long time.

20. Smudger

Smudger Well-Known Member

third time that location has been bashed to it's death by 4042 postings is what I meant