Gordon Ramsey-Steak Tartar

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Aug 22, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I'm watching Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape on BBC America,he's spending a few day's at an Ashram in India,a vegetarian Ashram that is,so this is why he's bringing up wanting some Steak Tartar. We used to eat it back home and right now I wish I had some too!
    Are there any Restaurants around here that serve it?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I am not sure it is even legal. I have had places tell me it was illegal to sell me a Burger the way I wanted it.

3. Crysta

Crysta Guest

I'm sure it varies by state, but I doubt it's illegal. Restaurants are just wary because if you order a very rare steak and then get sick, even if the menu has that little blurb about them not being responsible, they're still responsible. Also, it may not be a popular enough menu item to warrant the cost, since the meat has to be so fresh.

It's very easy to make yourself. Just find a really good butcher and make sure he knows that you're going to be serving it tartar. Make absolutely sure that they clean the grinder before making, or else your meat could be tainted by bacteria in regular ground meat. Otherwise, you should be fine. We typically just add some salt and pepper to taste, and top with a raw egg.

4. AnnetteL

Yes,we always put a raw egg yolk on top also and served some chopped onions as a side ;)
    I guess another option would be to grind it myself if I bought the grinder attachment for my kitchenaid.

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I would be more afraid of the raw egg than the raw meat. ya know!!! :x

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Made some myself this evening, venison, unfortunately I didn't make sure the rental car was clean first.

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Dam, now I'm salivating at the mouth for Tartar !!!:lol:

I just use 2 knives and chop a steak till it's ground. ("Yan can cook" style)

Add a few capers to those onions!!

Best Steak Tartar in the world = Stock Yard Restaurant, Nashville TN. They chop and prepare it at your table using a rib eye.

It's also the place I was fooled into eating mountain oyster.:ack:

8. AnnetteL

:mrgreen:

9. AnnetteL

I didn't think anyone beside myself would actually like it 8)
    Too bad that Restaurant in Nashville isn't closer,I still would pass on the mountain oysters :lol:

10. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Gordon Ramsay is my celebrity crush. I love that crazy Englishman.

11. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

i didn't see the episode, but surely the irony wasn't lost that he was asking for an indian sacred animal to be served "tartar". :)

12. AnnetteL

:) He isn't exactly know for his great sense of etiquette :mrgreen:

13. cdd

cdd Well-Known Member

14. AnnetteL

15. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

The Couquette in Raleigh serves this as an appetizer. I want to say I have seen it at Sullivan's before?? I think. I am not positive though. I do like tuna tartare but I have always been a bit scared for anything other than seafood. LOL By the way I saw on the news that Second Empire (YUM and great tuna tartare) and Sullivans is participating in the Restaurant Week this week in downtown Raleigh!

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/restaurantweek/restaurants.htm