Very Frustrated Stephenson Heat and Air

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by maildude, Sep 3, 2010.

1. maildude

maildude Member

A/C went out for the 3rd time in three years. Install by Stephenson's and an "air line " issue arose the first year (only service under warranty!). The second time, there was an "install issue". The service tech stated who in the world did this? The "power lines" were intalled over the fan intake, sucking the wires into the fan. Major fire issue, he said. I said, umm..... you guys??
    Now the compressor is running but the fan is not turning..VERY HOT...so turned off the breaker....
    Suggestions for reputable A/C techs??? NOT STEPHENSONS!!!

2. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

this happened to mine, replaced the capaciter (sp?) and it worked for 3 days then had to replace the fan motor. My brother works in heating/air and told me when he replaced the first part that he thought the fan motor did not have much life left...turns out he was right.

3. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

If your unit is less than 10 years old, you might want to call someone who installs and services your particular brand.
    If not, you can call my guy, I can't remember his real name, my hubby calls him Batman, but he doesn't like being called that. His number is 250-8048. I will call my sister later and ask what his name is, lol. I sent him to her, too. My hubby has Batman in the rolodex. Very reasonable, even came out and worked on my unit on Thanksgiving one year.

4. gillac

gillac Well-Known Member

Your experience sounds almost identical to ours with Stephensons. We have had multiple problems each year we have lived in our house (going on 6 years). I wouldn't suggest them to anyone. Give Chuck's a call.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Call Arctic Air, I can't say enough good things about him. He's right in Clayton. 796-4681. 4042 Adverstiser as well. I know him personally and think the world of him and his work. :cheers:

6. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to mine, it was the capacitor!! If you can see the capacitor check and see if it is swollen (out of shape). Do not put your hands in there for anything. They don't last very long, the federal government made it illegal to make capacitors with PCB in them, so they had to change the way they are manufactured and it shortened their life. They cost under $50..... GOOD LUCK!!!

7. Yes2day

Yes2day Active Member

Call Mike at Mike's Heating & Air. He has worked on my system twice in the last year, different problems and the system is over 10 years old. He is here when he says he will be here and he is reasonably priced and has fixed the problems the first time. He advertises on here too. His # is 919-934-4148.

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Another vote for Artic Air.

9. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Our capacitor went out this year too. A week before mine went out, my bff's went out also. It was back when we were having those 110 degree heat index days.

10. glorybee

glorybee Well-Known Member

I posted here a while ago when Stephenson's pulled a crappy deal on us. To this day we still have not been given out $1500.00 tax break on our unit. We were promised several times that it was on the way. You can't take their word about anything. We finally just forgot about it. LESSON LEARNED.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

If the unit you bought qualified, then it shouldn't be a big deal. All THEY have to do is go to the manufacturer website and print out a certificate. You may be able to do it yourself. Go to the manufacturer website and there should be a section for Energy Rebates or something along those lines. You will need the model and serial number for your unit(s). Those are found on the unit itself. Plug those in and you will find out if it was a qualifiying unit. If so, you may be able to print the documentation yourself.

There was some initial confusion when the program first rolled out about which ones were included. With that said, then all you have to do is claim that on your taxes. The rebate doesn't come from the installer, it comes through your income tax refund. Also, I know that Progress Energy was also offering rebates if you used a qualifying installer and qualifying equipment. Lots of people got both which made it a good idea to get a new unit if you needed one!

12. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

My capacitor went out during the heat wave in July as well..it was not fun. Between that and the fan motor we were without a/c for 3 days..ugh.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That blows!! :mrgreen: Mine went out on Memorial day one year. Last winter a capacitor went and then our fan motor as well (fairly common and happens to all of them), got a little chilly in here! I am saving up for a new unit myself, mine has a leak in the indoor coil, don't know how it's made it through the summer. Every day when I walk upstairs, I expect it to be hot, LOL. Can not wait to get a more efficient unit.

14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

agree fully

15. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Mike's been doing maintenance and any work needed on our systems for several years. He does a great job at a fair price.

16. maildude

maildude Member

Thanks Guys!

Called "Mike". He came out within the hour, fixed the problem (blown capacitor) in just a few moments, and was very reasonable!!

Highly Recommend!

17. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Third for Arctic Air!

18. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

We used Mike's Heating and A/C too and also had a good experience.

19. JoCoREZ

JoCoREZ Well-Known Member

Mike is the best! Works on my AC and my Moms. Always informative and probably the most honest home repair contractor I have ever dealt with.

20. kingrichard43

kingrichard43 Active Member

Air Quality

Can't say enough good things about Arctic Air. On the hottest day of the summer (in the middle of the night) my air went out. Hubby was out of town & I was alone. Mike's is my usual "go to" heating/air service but he was swamped with calls and said he couldn't come by for 3 days! Yikes! At 100 degrees and rising there was no way I could wait for 3 days. I called Arctic Air & they arrived within 2 hours. No price gouging and very professional/fast service and repairs. I highly recommend them. By the way, no problems with the air conditioner since it was fixed several months ago.