Did ya'll hear about this...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by harleygirl, Sep 21, 2010.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/national/story/8325001/

The kids who were teasing this girl should apologize and be suspended!

Not being a *parent* myself, I probably would have done worse than what this dad did.

Good Job Parents; it's OK for your kid to pick on a handicapped kid.

I'd like to get my hands on some folks. :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Kids act like they are being raised by wolves half the time. :? Dude should have handled it otherwise, but I understand the sentiment.

I just recently heard about what happened to a cousin of mine on a school bus years ago, she has something wrong with her legs and has little feeling and has to use braces to walk. Someone actually burned her legs with a match on the bus. :cry:

Some of you wondered why I wouldn't put my kindergartner on a bus. KMA.

3. harleygirl

I'd tear somebody UP for messing with my kid, dog or DH!

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

and i tear a new hole in my own if they were doing it to another (that is what needs to happen to the offenders):evil:

5. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Being that I am currently experiencing similar crap like this w/ my kids, I can tell you the schools don't listen to you unless you threaten a lawyer. NO LIE!!! I've documented it all at WJHS. Things need to change. It's a mess. My daughter should not have to endure being called retarded and other names daily. There comes a point when the parents do have to defend for the children who are not quite capable of fending for themselves. Maybe this will bring to light a few things.

Stephanie--mom to 7

6. Polkadots

Polkadots Well-Known Member

They have so many discipline issues that they only want to have to deal with the major ones, i.e. smoking, drugs, fights... the verbal abuse, etc., the driver is told to just deal with or handle themselves. Nevermind that they are driving 50 + kids in traffic and expected to keep their eyes on the road at all times!!! That Dad was wrong for boarding the bus, it's illegal, but who can blame him for wanting to let those brats have it!!!

7. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

I cannot believe what goes on during the bus routes. My mom is a driver and I seriously contemplated calling the superintendent (for my mom) due to a few students who were harassing her and threatened to 'mace" her the last week of school. I was furious at the amount of times she turned this particular child or group in for misconduct and nothing was done. It is unbelievable. I will do whatever it takes to carpool my DD

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Schools will not listen, parents will not listen when their kid is the one bullying so at some point the one being picked on must have some sort of support system. We've been there. And for those saying but my kid did not do it......hum, if your kid was in the group doing it, kept their mouth shut and you think being a bystander is okay........watch out what you teach a child. Some day your child or adult may need some support and you will wish someone would come forward and/or stand up for your child.

Just like sayin' I walked past the rape in progress but had to get to work. DIAL 911 and teach your kids the same, stupid people, least ya' can do.

Sherry

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

As a father, I look at it like this. I'd take on a grizzly bear for my mine. If your kid is the target of bullying and school officials won't help, somebody's cage needs to get rattled. He boarded the bus, did his impression of pyscho dad and just might have saved his daughter from any further harrassment throughout the duration of a long school year. He was right to apologize for the record and to hopefully lessen his punishment, but deep down, he probably feels he did the right thing for the sake of his kid and I can't say that I wouldn't have reacted the same way if put in his shoes.

They have cameras and a bus driver who can attest to the bullying going on aboard the bus. Why must it come to a parent who has exhaust all the patience they can maintain?

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I would definitely go Madea on somebody's arse if they were picking on my kids. and I would go Madea on my kid's arse if they are the ones picking....

11. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

No way in hell I would have apologized. Those little stevebirds should have gotten arrested, not the dad.

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

LOL, I'll be waiting on you at 3:00! :jester:

13. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

:iagree: what happened to kids being taught to respect folks older than them? and not to pick on other kids? do unto others....

14. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Amen

:iagree:

15. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

I was at work one night and this boy called me an f@#$%&@ b@#$% and his mother who was standing there laughed and said, oh don't let him bother you. When the parents react like this it's no wonder kids are like they are. Needless to say even she left the store empty handed.

16. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

GET OUT! I would have slapped my son stupid if he even used the brain cells to THINK about calling someone that.

17. harleygirl

I hate I wasn't there. :boxing::boxing:

18. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I'd have slapped the parent silly for making the comment to ignore the kid.

19. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

You bring up a very good point. Its so important to make sure YOUR child is not bullying.

I have lots of thoughts on this topic.

North Carolina has school bullying laws in place. I dont think the majority of people really know the details of these laws though. I think educating parents and students is a key to cutting down on the bullying problem. Maybe NC could do an ad campaign. And not one showing traditional bully situations you see on tv or in the movies. Most kids are at least aware not to act like that. But there are plenty of other major/minor forms of harrassment that fall under these laws that kids probably think are relatively harmless. In fact, kids should be involved in putting together the ad campaign so real life situations are used.
    One part of the campaing could be title, "Oh No, Not My Child" The campaign should encourage every parent to have a conversation with their child about what the NC definition of bullying is and what the consequences are if you are caught bullying. Every child should know these laws because we should NEVER assume our child would not do something like this. Even the most well mannered kids get caught up in some sort of bullying at some time or another.

And of course the campaign should focus on how you child should handle it if he/she is being bullied. Personally I do not believe in the passive aggressive crap that is currently being taught. Talk it out, tell the teacher, blah blah blah. If you punch that kids lights out he will leave you alone. Get suspended I dont care. You will not be in trouble at home. I doubt my view would fly in the ad campaign!!!

And lastly kids need to stick together and take up for each other. Students should have campaigns of their own at school like, "We Dont Put Up With Bullying Here" letting bullies know that kids are going to stand up for each other and are not going to take this kind of behavior at their school. The good kids out rank the bad ones and the good ones should "take their school back"!

Ok I think Im done with my rant for now. Sorry, its a topic Im pretty passionate about. It just seems like it should be something that should be easy to fix to me.

DB's wife

20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I agree DBW, and online harassment/bullying should be included as well.