Badcock Furniture/Bad Business

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by riverbankbum, Nov 9, 2010.

1. riverbankbum

riverbankbum Member

Anyone else have any problems with Badcock Furniture at 4042??? I have been ripped off and feel Badcock owners are unreliable,untrustworthy,and unethical. I am still waiting for my first call from them after 6 weeks of dealing with them. It's not a very good business when the owners can't even pick up a phone to work out a problem and then in person tell you a lie and let you wait longer and then rip you off on a deposit by using it to make a payment she (KERI) stated It WAS THE STORES FAULT and she would make it right.After waiting 14 days I came to see why my deposit had not arrived,I was greeted by an envelope with chump change leftover from a payment that was unwarranted since we turned furniture in and THE STORE DELAYED PICKING UP FOR 2 WEEKS To put this payment 14 days late (grace preiod anyway). SO I AIN'T HAPPY. AM I THE ONLY ONE???? WE only had the furniture for 45 days and returned it because of wood warping on beds and not getting replaced. Overall experience became really inconvenient Thanks
    :beathorse::banghead:

From my experience, this information from notes and other information as well as statements form Badcock employees, is accurate

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. riverbankbum

riverbankbum Member

Badcock

I only had the furniture,or most of it for 44 days and returned furniture because we were not satified with the beds. Bunkbeds,2 sets, Wood was warping and splinttering so we decided to find a more convenient set for our kids. I acted in good faith!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  3. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Forgive me...but did you miss the part that was edited out that the beds were hard to make up/inconvenient? Maybe I dreamed that part...it's not there now. What the OP says now sounds bad...what was said before...well, I was confused. I think I still am.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yeah I saw it.........it is somewhat more coherant than it was earlier. I'm still not "sold" though. Sounds like buyer's remorse as much as anything else. But I didn't see the furniture. If I had quality issues, I would have documented it with photos, etc. But that is just me.

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'm trying to make sense of it myself. So, I guess this furniture was bought under a in-store credit account. You paid an initial deposit and then returned the furniture due to your dissatisfaction with the product? I'd be curious to see how their credit apps are worded. I'll just bet there is a clause in there in fine print that states that they can retain the deposit under such circumstances and that the person you spoke with (Keri) had no authority to 'take care of it.' If I'm not mistaken, Badcock Furniture has quite a lot of stores so you might would have talked to a store manager, but very doubtful an owner would discuss it with you.

6. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

I went there yesterday actually and they seemed nice. But then again I didn't buy anything yet.

7. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

and btw I really dont understand your post. Not trying to be rude.

8. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

We have purchased furniture from them twice, and were satisfied with both the quality of the furniture and the service we received while purchasing.

9. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

yeah i think they're a franchise with a local owner, not a chain if ya know what i mean. i remember them running commercials on wptf offering the "opportunity" to get one of several franchises around the triangle they were selling a couple years back

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Exactly. I don't buy furniture often. We still have the sectional DH and I bought as newlyweds, as well as the bedroom suite. The "newest" piece I have is at least 7 years old. I buy stuff that will last. Not that this is what the OP did, but how in hades do people afford to buy all new furniture every few years???

With that said, I will be replacing some stuff soon, I'm about sick of looking at some of it, LOL. :jester:

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Not sure about direct-from-store purchases, but online purchases (according to their website) only allow for a 14-day return policy. The company does not have their full return policy on their website. Also, instead of calling them store owners, they are referred to on their website as "dealers." Not sure of the distinction there.

12. riverbankbum

riverbankbum Member

just to clarify a bit more. I purchased furniture on store credit. Paid my deposit and waited a week for some of the furniture to come in and I picked up furniture. Still waiting on backorder stuff we set up what we had. We did not sign a pickup order as requested by Asst mgr because we had not received ALL furniture,Which VOIDED the 10 return policy. After setting up we had warped boards on the staircase at which time we contacted Asst. mgr who said they would replace it. We continued waiting for back order stuff to come in and I picked up things as they came in. The staircase came in, which I was not told was there until I went and asked a week afterwards, and I asked for the store to deliever and switch out which several times they said they would come. Several times they never called or showed up. Meantime we had noticed other boards warped but YES changing the sheets on these bunkbeds was very difficult with bunkie boards as anyone out there who has one will know this. Not knowing this at the time we bought these we learned the hard way. We asked the store to cancel rest of order because we were not satisified with the furniture.So what do you do if ya ain't happy with something???? Yes you return it as you all have done at one time or the other. We gave notice week of due date of first payment and the store said they would pick up but finally came 14 days after actual due date. I went to store and talked to the owner and she agreed it WAS STORES FAULT we didn't get all furniture and should not have to make payment. I explained WHY we were not happy with furniture and she told me she would call corp office and get them to refund my deposit(which I paid cash) and clear everything up and my credit there would still be ok. Not the first time I spent several thousand there at Badcock with no problems. This was on a Wednesday and I was told corp cuts checks on Tuesday so I waited till Friday after that Tuesday to go by and inquire about check but owner was out so I left message and returned on Monday and again owner was out. I again left message and was handed an envelope containing less than $17 and asked what this was for and was told she took out payment and that was change. When I finally caught up with her Tuesday she used evey excuse in the book to why did I buy the furniture in the first place to I had opted out of delievery, even though I was on top of things MORE than THEY were. Now after contacting corp I am Again in waiting to find out outcome and I bet I won't be hearing from the owners cause they don't know how to use a phone and their employees don't either. The customer service sucks and the furniture I got did to, I didn't even say anything about the splinttering where screws were on the railings like the pick up guys did. So overall I feel I worked with them over and beyond until I feel they took my money. SO I hope this clears up some confusion some of you may have. I just want my money back so I can get something else. Thanks for ALL comments both positive and negitive.:beathorse::banghead:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  13. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

sounds like a bum deal all around then (just judging on one side of story, but still). it is unfortunate when things like this happen and the answer is not straightforward. but don't give up! i don't know anything personally about this particular business, but that's the name of the game for some business owners (especially the bigger corporate ones)...make it difficult enough to resolve something that the customer gives up. i won't give up even a dollar even if it takes 20 hours of my time. it's the principle of the thing. good luck!!

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Contact Five On Your Side with the story. Also, try filing a complaint with the BBB.

15. Suzie Q

Suzie Q Well-Known Member

Actually call Diane Wilson at WTVD. She actually does all her own stories WRAL uses a lot of canned stuff.

16. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I'm still scratching my head :confused:

17. Crysta

Crysta Guest

We almost bought furniture from there and were very happy that we didn't. Loved the bed and the look of the set, but the dresser quality was horrible. The drawers were so poorly made, I would have been embarrassed to pay so much for such a cheap piece. The sales guy admitted that they lose a lot of sales for that reason. After that conversation, we decided to tear up the order for the rest of the furniture. It would have been convenient to have gotten everything from there, but I'm so glad we shopped more and got much higher quality pieces for the same amount of money.

18. riverbankbum

riverbankbum Member

CASE CLOSED:hurray::cheers:I'm Happy to say ALL IS WELL.. Badcock made good and restored a little faith!. I got my deposit back in full with an apology from Corp. headquarters that it was an error on their part. Picked up deposit today and can now move on. The owner was polite so all is good.
    Thanks again for all comments, positive and negitive. So let's go buy some new good quality furniture! ANY suggestions where???
    :cheers:

19. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

Might be a little far for you but Tucker Furniture in Smithfield is great! We always have good business with them.

20. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Every time we pass that store I tell my husband that I'm gonna sneak down there with some paint and switch the F and the T :jester: