Where were you at approximately 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 16, 1991?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8944010/

If you were among the more than 500,000 men and women deployed from the U.S. as part of Operation Desert Storm, you remember. You remember the fear and the uncertainty of a war than ended up lasting six weeks – a war that came to be called the "Nintendo War" or video-game war since, for the first time, the world watched live on television as the U.S.-led United Nations coalition resorted to war to eject Iraq from Kuwait.

- - - - - - - - - -

I was at a UNC Basketball game in Chapel Hill with a buddy. They ended up calling off the game.

2. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Me too....they were playing NC State.

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I was at ECU worried. My Dad was in it. I remember him taking his own weapon as he didn't trust the government issued ones. Many men did that. Was hard for me to concentrate & the uncertainty is what got to you. I chose not to watch any of it on tv knowing my dad was there. Wow, seems like forever.

Stephanie--mom to 7

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My DH was active duty AF in training for Satellite Communications in Biloxi, MS. Yeah, I was scared to death that day, 20 year old newlywed with a DH whose job was going to be in a truck with a big satellite dish on it. May as well have painted a bullseye on it. Thankfully, he didn't end up having to go since it was pretty much over before his training was finished (took about 9 months for that job). He had mixed feelings about that for sure, still does.

5. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

Sophomore year at Meredith, 1st floor room in Brewer dorm, watching this on the news.

6. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

I was teaching a night class at the vocational school where I was working, one of my students was crying because her fiance had just finished basic training not even a month before.

That night, I got home to find my step-brother & his wife in my living room with DH. I knew something was up, because wasn't expecting visitors & it was almost 9:30 - we all had to work the following day. My step-brother, who'd taken part in Operation Swift Fury (Granada) had been discharged from the Army almost 6 years, was saying he was fairly certain he was subject to being recalled - he wanted to go volunteer to go back in, his wife had other wishes. . .DH was 36 at the time and talking about seeing if the army would take him back - he'd been discharged over 10 years. LOL - Uncle Sam would have had to be desperate to take either one of them back.:mrgreen:

7. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

I was at dinner for my friend's 10th birthday (he turns 30 monday). We got the news from the bar and sat in stunned silence.

8. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I was home and worried because my brother got deployed there. He is now home safe and a retired Vet.

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Was active duty Air Force at the time stationed at Comiso AS Italy, and was in the field taking part of the last ORE that the base would have prior to being shut down and having all of the GLCM's (ground launched cruise missles with nuclear warheads) removed and dismantled. Had been TDY to Saudi previously during Operation Desert Shield while stationed at Seymour Johnson and after during Operation Provide Comfort while stationed at RAF Bentwaters.

10. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Watching the news: afraid that there was no future.

11. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Sitting at a bar in downtown Raleigh.

12. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

spanking a monkey

13. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I was married to my ex (he was in the Navy) and Kyle was about a year and a half old. We had just arrived at my ex mother-in-laws house. We were stationed in VA and she lived in KY. We had only been there for a few hours when we got a call for my husband to return to base ASAP. We reloaded the car and headed directly back to VA. We didn't even get a chance to hear it on the news or anything. That was about the time we were saying out goodbyes and heading back to base. It was very scarey. My ex was on an aircraft carrier. Not too long after all this ended and he was back home, he had to start preparing for 6 months at sea.

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I was visiting Greenville on business. Listened to the news on the radio as the F-117s, F-15E and the RAF Tornados began the campaign. Maybe I was just naive, but I didn't worry about the outcome. I felt like the US military, along with the coalition, would be victorious with the air campaign. The ground offensive was a concern, but I guess many Americans thought we'd just charge in there headlong.

15. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Was in the middle of an aerobics class @ the gym with my sister. We immediately grabbed our stuff and left. It was a Wednesday night...we went straight to the nearest church that was open, walked in, up the aisle, and knelt at the altar to pray. I will NEVER forget that. I was so scared. My dad was a Vet and I had been raised with an unbelievable amount of respect for not only my country, but also the ones who protected us. Still have that respect.

16. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

Sitting on the living room floor, at my grandparents house, in DeSmet, SD. We had buried my grandfather earlier that day, and the whole family was sitting around watching the news.

17. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

I was 16 and working at Smithfield BBQ listening to the news on the radio.

18. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

My wife and I were sitting in our living room watching the news. Tom Brokaw announced solomnly that it appeared that aircraft had left the carriers. My oldest son was two days away from his second birthday. My thoughts were, "if we take care of this now, maybe he will not have to go over there."

He recently returned from his first tour in Afghanistan.

May God bless America and our troops...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  19. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Watching the news with my mom while praying my step-dad was safe as he was in the thick of things over there.

He came home 4 weeks with a broken back after being blown back by a booby trapped hand grenade in an abandoned sand bunker. Young marine who moved the white t-shirt was not so fortunate.

20. shellybear

shellybear Active Member

I was at Camp Pendleton in California. My husband was serving in Saudi Arabia / Iraqi Areas. Front line I was told later. My Daughter was just born. I was watching TV as things unfolded. Wanted my man to come back home safe to see the baby he hadn't yet seen. Glad to say he did.