best phone or blackberry to buy

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Jan 28, 2011.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Have verizon, would like to know the best phone to get without spending an arm and leg, maybe for texting, pics and possible internet.? Something easy to see and use and big enough for my fat fingers! Thanks oh and how much do plans cost to get a phone with all that?

2. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

Blackberry doesn't work for fat fingers, unfortunately. I have one that I'm trying to get away from..I find it very frustrating. As a side note, I'm with Verizon, but Boost Mobile has a better no-contract deal than I get with Verizon...This is something I'm going to look into more when my contract ends in a few months..

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Fingers are pretty fat, I live on my Droid.

Allowed to upgrade in a few months but doubt if I will bother.

4. Crysta

Crysta Guest

If your main focus is price, I would go with one of the Walmart Straight Talk phones/plans. Dh pays $30 a month (total) for 1,000 minutes, 1,000 texts/picture messages, and 30mb of internet. There's no contract, but that is the monthly cost, and there is no roll-over of anything. Reception is pretty good (not Verizon good but better than AT&T in most areas). The unlimited plan is only $45 a month. There are no extra fees or taxes. Phones range from $30-250, and they have a ton of different choices. So you could still get a touch screen, slide keyboard, etc. You can see the different options on their website. In-store won't have nearly as many choices.

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I went from a crackberry to an htc EVO 4G. The bb hands down is better at e-mail than anything I've seen or had and can run circles around the stock battery life of the EVO. The EVO uses the android OS so there are tons of apps for it, and with the touch screen and swipe feature you can text/type alot faster than you can on the bb

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

love the EVO and texting is great with the big screen. Craig, have you checked everything that is running on your EVO, when you first get them there are a lot of things running in the background that are not necessary and once i turned them off my battery lasts all day and then some before dying out, i sometimes forget to plug it in at night and still have power in the am and can usually make it to lunch before recharging.

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

LG Ally Droid x 2 over here. We LOVE them!!!

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I am patiently waiting for the iPhone from Verizon..........

can't wait!

9. CraigSPL

Fixed it for you.

:jester:

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

11. CraigSPL

Actually yes I watch what apps are running in the back ground and honestly it's getting better the more it get used. However the crackberry would hold a charge for a couple of days before needing to be plugged in versus the EVO which usually gets plugged in each night, and considering that it's a work phone it gets alot of use during the day.

12. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

Typical Andriod OS user comment. Don't worry folks, everyone knows the iPhone owns the Droids : )

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

14. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Well of course a lot of folks are waiting to dump AT&T, can you blame them? Doesn't mean all of us are going to bow to the iPhone. Like I said my contract will be up just after the iPhone comes out, will I get one? No

Rather have this open sourced tool.

P.S. I would never buy a phone that I can't swap batteries on.

16. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

keep it coming, i am so confused right now as i am not that electronic savvy, but keep explaining the droid? and iphone and EVO? and i will eventually figure it out to make a good decision. :p

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

EVO is another type of Android phone.

Phones using the Android operating system are available from a number of different manufactures (Mine came from Motorola but I have heard a lot of great things about HTC which I believe makes EVO). Android is an "Open Sourced" operating system which is controlled by Google. "Apps" can be provided from just about anyone, and because it is open sourced it is pretty much a buyer beware situation.

iPhones are all made by Apple which is a great company and makes a great product. Unfortunately it has been tied to AT&T as the sole service provider up to this point but Verizon will soon be allowed to support them. Apple is a "Closed Source" operating system, "For Quality Purposes", and Apple keeps software "Apps" providers on a short leash and also censors the software you can buy.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  18. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Ok, starting to make some sense now. Keep this discussion going now, I have alot to learn:)

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

OMG just downloaded the free kindle for android app on my EVO - now this i am totally loving - read my fav books anywhere - woohoo:hurray::hurray::hurray: (and having the big screen of the EVO 4G definitely is better for reading books)

20. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Just got a DROID.