Willowrun Veterinary Hospital - Smithfield / Other Vet's

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hotwire, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

Does anyone currently use them or previously used them? My wife and I live close to Smithfield and want to find a local vet. In the past, we have used Banfield; but now that our dog is over a year old and she is out of the puppy plan I would like to find something closer to home. It takes us about 30 minutes to get to Petsmart in Garner. We recently acquired our second Siberian Husky and would like to use someone in Smithfield (only 5 minutes from our house). I have looked over the few listed in Smithfield, and this one seemed to have the best reviews, actually, the only reviews! The only other veterinarian near us is the Carolina Crossing Vet Clinic on Highway 210 near I-40. Has anyone had experience with them?

While we are on the subject, what do you use for Flea/Tick prevention and Heartworm prevention and where do you buy it from?

Thank you so much for your responses!

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I've been going to Carolina Crossing and I'm very pleased with them,the staff is friendly and their prices are reasonable. I used to got to Stage Rd. Animal Hospital and I would still go there except Carolina Crossing is much closer to where we live.
    We use Heartguard for heartworms and Comfortis for Flea prevention,which I buy from Carolina Crossing,I used to use Frontline on our previous dog but started to use Comfortis on the new puppy,it comes in tablet form so there's no messy,oil gook to deal with.

3. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

This topic come up rather often...do a search for many opinions & note the dates.

We're Stage Rd. Animal Hospital people, for our Dog-child & cats.

Best prices around even w/ the drive to them.

3 Vets on staff.
    + boarding
    + grooming

;) A+ for us.

4. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response, but it isn't really what I was asking. If I wanted to drive quite a ways, I would still be going to Banfield. Please read the post next time. I was asking about two specific veterinary hospitals that are within a good driving distance of my home, as well as flea/tick and heartworm prevention. I already searched for the two different vet's on here and found little to no information.

5. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I have used Willow Run and was pleased with the treatment they gave my dog. I thought it was kinda pricy but I hadn't had a pet for sometime and this little girl had some major problems from the time we got her. They are very observant and I would recommend them. You can get the heartworm meds from them.

6. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Both Carolina Crossings AND Willow Run are

great vets .... .

Willow Run is pricier then CCVC but also at the same time WR has better hours and Sat hours as well (whereas I don't think CCVC does Sat but I could be wrong).

Another vet to consider is For Pets Sake -- Selma. Right off of Hwy 301 by a bank and the railroad tracks down that way. They're very friendly and reasonbly priced as well.

So... although WR may be a bit pricier then the 2 mentioned above, I think their overall hours of operation are better. But For Pets Sake has good hours too into the evening. That's the only CCVC downfall --open hours don't seem to be as much as normal vets.

Good luck!

7. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

I have two dogs and use Willow Run for both. They may be kinda pricey, but I don't notice it as I was used to paying Raleigh prices for Vet care. I have no complaints with their services, I love Dr. Smith and Dr. Langdon. Dr. Gibbs saw my Sr dog when she was being cared for by my mother (who didn't take care of her very well) and seemed to put off a bit of a air about him cause she was so dirty and all. I usually get wellness bloodwork and I've never had an emergency or illness to take my girls in for, so I really only see them about once or twice a year. I also decline a lot of services (non core vaccines, fecal checks, and deworming) that I don't think are necessary.

I have been tempted to try Carolina Crossings though, as they offer a raw pet food diet which says to me they may be at least a little more open to the idea of Holistic Medicine and be more familiar with the types of food I feed (Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Taste of the Wild which often illicit 'Not familiar or never heard of it.')

I had a holistic vet in Raleigh that I would go to, but I can't justify having a vet that far off if I have an emergency.

8. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

When we first moved here they were in a tiny little building on Bright Leaf. They were great. However, when our Rottie got very sick they'd moved to the big, expensive building they are now at...the vet refused to enter the room unless we muzzled our dog because "big dogs can be aggressive" even though our dog was lying on the floor on his side with our 2 year old petting his ears. After a preliminary exam (he felt the swollen lymph nodes), the vet said, "He's going to die." That's it. In front of my kids. Then we got the bill! We went one last time for a regular check up and found their prices had gone up significantly (multiply last check up by 4!).

We changed vets and found one not afraid of our other Rottie.

9. Snuffyjo

Snuffyjo Well-Known Member

Carolina Crossing does have Say hours but 8-12 only.

10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Willowrun was great back in the day, once they moved into the new building they fell apart, didn't diagnose my dog correctly and she had cancer and we didn't know it till we switched vets and she was at deaths door. Our other dog was not diagnosed right and was given a pill that made her bleed to death. Will never go back there again.

11. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

I Agree

12. Dr. Ward is an awesome vet ands very reasonably priced. Highly reccomend :)

Dr. Michael C. Ward
    1266 N Brightleaf Blvd
    Smithfield, NC 27577

13. Its Johnston Animal Hospital on 301.