Land surveyor

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grammie, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

My neighbors are going to be cutting down trees and they are the type that I want to make sure they stay on their property. I would like any recommendations everyone might have and about how much it will cost. Thanks in advance

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The cost will depend on how much there is to survey. I can recommend both True Line and Alsey Gilbert. I've used both and have no complaints at all. Both are in downtown Clayton.

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I agree with Alsey, he's a good honest man. His price will be fair.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

And he is very funny! :mrgreen:

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Do you have a access to a metal detector? You can find those rods in the ground (if they are still there) for free. Whatever you do, spraypaint a big line between your lots. lol

6. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

A typical lot survey, to mark your property corners (a corner is defined as everywhere your lot line bends) for a fence or just to know where they are, usually takes an hour to an hour and a half. Run you about $150 for the entire lot. Less if you just want 1 line marked.

Since you dont know where your corners are, i would not suggest doing it on your own. You could end up finding an adjoining property iron (one that backs up to your lot), an offset iron or any number of things in the ground.

Personally, i would go with the surveyor who did the subdivision to start with. Dont be surprised if when you do get the corners marked, that they might not be in the spot you think they are. It happens quite often.

7. busymama

busymama Well-Known Member

krause surveying

8. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I am thinking that locating one side of your lot will run approximately $80. I think the $150 for the entire lot is a bit low these days, but times are hard for surveyors.

9. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

We had our property surveyed a few years back. It is just under 1.25 acres (about 1/2 wooded) and cost around $400.

10. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

$400 is more in line with what I'm seeing right now. Do you have your previous one or have you tried to locate it online?

11. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

$400 sounds more like a full survey with a map prepared (on a legal sized sheet of paper) which is called a mortgage closing survey. Something you would get at the time of your house closing. Those typically run $350 in this area for a lot of an acre or less.

If someone charged you $400 for a simple line staking and you are only 1.25 acres, unless its heavily wooded and full of creeks, it sounds like someone spent a touch too long on your property.

Normal charge for a line staking is $100 to $150 for a lot of an acre or so.

12. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

I have a little over an acre and a half some of it is woods. I have the map from the closing, but the people next door are the type to cut my trees down and say "oops sorry." I don't want mine cut down because they make a great mother nature privacy fence, plus don't want to see the neighbors. I will give these guys a call and see what they say. Thanks guys

13. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We used Jerry Ball Surveyor 965-0077. We paid $150.00 And for those that recommended True Line - well one of our neighbors hired them and they just used the survey that we had done. So basically, we paid for our survey and our neighbors since they only measured one side of his property.
    We must have the same neighbors, sadly we had no warning that they were going to cut down trees until they started too. Of course, we weren't home when they started and they got off our property when we returned home from chruch, by then the trees were down.
    One other thing that we had done after the first survey was to have stakes placed every few feet on both sides. The original survey stakes were pulled up by our neighbor's children. So we had to have the survey redone.