Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. kmollins

kmollins Well-Known Member

Well said!

2. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Take a look at the children's textbooks from one year to the next. Most spend the first nine weeks (or more) of the school year reviewing material from the prior year rather than moving forward in their learning.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Gosh and it just warmed my heart to be told that I'm "only" a parent and shouldn't have any say so whatsover in this issue.

4. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

Not sure who that was. I would have to look back. I have always posted that both should be considered, as I do not agree with that stance. That does not, however, make me feel like belittling someone.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but this is a parenting issue. It is your job to provide enrichment and reading material over the summer. The library loans books out for free, and even offer prizes for completing reading logs....

I have three children, two in school - none of them have lost any abilities over the 2.5 month summer break. I'm one of those mean parents who supplies workbooks/reading material for their kids and says "OK, TV is off!".

And this might sound bad, but given the fact that they are in public school I don't know that I would be encouraging them to be years ahead of their peers since there is a glass ceiling with the AIG Center going away and the teacher having to spend most of his/her time and energy on students whose parents don't give a ****. TIC, but it's the truth.

6. Cleopatra

I'm not picking on you, BUT it always takes a little bit of time to "get back into the swing of things". Ever take a week or two off work for a relaxing vacation? Takes a good day to get back in the swing of things.

Don't you think it will take kids at least a day or two to get back into the swing of things? Add that up, it would equal the same week or so kids need to get back into the swing of things at the end of the summer.

This is shuffling the problem around and not addressing it head on.

7. LovingLife10

:confused: so that's the key to a parent's role in educating his/her children? Make sure they are on grade level, but don't encourage them to do any more than that? Your ideas here seem very contradictory. In one breath you are telling this person that he/she should be taking a more active role in the child's education and in another saying that his/her child may be too advanced.

8. Cleopatra

This is true.

9. Cleopatra

I'm just telling the truth. 4042 veterans here will get my sarcasm. ;)

If you really want the truth, you should be teaching at home in addition to school so they can get the attention they need - 'cause all of that is going to the one kid in class who is in danger of not passing that EOG!

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

go on girlfriend

11. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

There are pros and cons of year round school. I have a friend who teaches year round in Wake County. She said it's great if she and the kids are on a good track. She said some tracks are wore than others. Sometimes they break for almost 5 weeks during the holidays which means there is still catch up to do. I'm on the fence about it, personally. If we lived in Wake County and I had to choose between a traditional school that's close to our house or to be bused across the county to a year round school, I'd choose the closer school.

Bottom line is no matter what kind of school our kids go to or how much time they have for vacation, it never hurts for parents to help their children stay caught up.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  12. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

No way! Cleo sarcastic? :jester:

13. Cleopatra

:cool:

14. Cleopatra

http://www.saveoursummers.com/index.asp

I think it's time to contact these folks.... it worked last time.

Have you heard about this?

15. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

@cleo....with the aig center going away? Where did you get that from? I don't know, there just seems to be some serious conclusion-jumping going on here....

16. Cleopatra

Yeah, it is (conclusion jumping). It's safe for now....

17. LovingLife10

Yeah, i get that that the veterans with 18000+ posts on an online forum might get your sarcasm because the group of you who know each other can have inside jokes and wink at one another when you are passive aggressively picking on a newbie. I am a former educator and my husband is currently an educator in the public school system. We have dedicated our lives to our children both biological and non-biological (our students). What you have posted here may be your truth, but it is NOT mine. My truth is that I, as well as many other teachers i have had the pleasure of working with, are dedicated to teaching ALL students. I realize that the system needs work, a lot of work, but it is impossible when the parents and teachers are at such odds. I don't know how old your children are, but i sincerely hope that their teachers feel more appreciated than you have made them out to be. MOST teachers i know pour their hearts into their work and would do anything to better all of their
    students. IMO, your sentiments are part of what is wrong with public education these days, sarcastic or not.

18. Polkadots

Polkadots Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you. There is no respect or appreciation for teachers these days. Well said. With less and less parents involved in their children's education, teachers get blamed for far too much when 98 percent of them pour their heart and soul into teaching each and every child to be the best that they can be.

19. Cleopatra

Wow, you told me. :rolleyes:

I have no qualms with teachers, you are making it about you when

it.simply.is.not.about.you.

It's about a school system that is dodging the real questions/issues and trying to "one size fits all" education at the expense of parents and kids who are doing the right thing.

I have a 16YO, 6 YO, and a 4YO. I am at the elem school regularly. My 16 YO was AIG, NJHS, AND spent 20 days in Europe as a Student Ambassador. He was also bored out of his mind in elem school, so much so that the admin at Cleveland and I were on speed dial with each other. YET, he still managed to score 4s and 5s on his EOGs. :shrugs: There is only so much one teacher can do in a classroom of 25 with at least 5 different skillsets to teach to. I feel for them, I love volunteering and look forward to subbing but I could never choose that career path. Big ups to you, so yes - apparently you did not get my sarcasm.

Is that the teacher's fault? No. Nowhere did I say that.

20. Cleopatra

Nobody here has been blaming teachers, we *have* been blaming parents.