3rd grade math...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 2not2, Mar 1, 2011.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Good lord!! I don't think having kids 13 years apart would benefit either of them, LOL. My SIL did that, her boys are 15 years apart and it is really more like having two "only" than siblings. Of course that colicky baby was good birth control for the older one, LOL. He's almost 30 now and is still not interested in kids. :lol:

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

LOL Don't be sad! In some ways we have it made! We've never had to share our parents affections. We've never been made to feel that just maybe mommy loved Susie better than she did me. I didn't have to grow up in Susie's shadow either. No one to fight with. A peacemaker. ... There is good and bad in everything.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

My daughter is in college now but when she was in middle and high school her math and science were over my head (pre-algebra in middle school). Sometimes I would have her call a neighbor, who was an engineer, or I would post the problem on here and she would converse with whomever could help. She has a double major in college.....Forensic Science and Biology and I'll never be able to help her. I was a business major and she is way beyond me.

Try using older kids, as suggested (we had loads come to our house for help), try using neighbors, the internet and your friends on 4042. Oh, don't forget to email the teacher as he/she just might be able to help that night.

Good luck,
    Sherry

4. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I agree with this. We are blessed this year with a teacher who really wants to help, and answers e-mails immediately. She will schedule a conference anytime. She told me that she wants as much communication with parents as possible. The problem is most parents don't communicate with her. I think a lot of parents leave everything up to the teacher, and that's not always the best for the kids. jmo.

5. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Yep...me, too but my twins are younger and can't help the 3rd grader. My older son probably can explain it to us but due to ball games this week, has gotten home too late to bother him with it. Sent a note to the teacher to set up conference..we'll see how THAT goes!

My girls rarely help each other, much less get along. They are on totally different ends of the spectrum as far as school goes. One is so far ahead academically but it is because her teacher is teaching at a WAY higher level than the other one. Should have never split them up this year; or against their wishes, should have put them in the same class after I saw the difference in what they were being taught. Now I have one that is performing at a higher grade level and one that is in jeopardy of falling behind.

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I left off Sylvan Learning Center. At one point, in elementary school, my daughter would not read. I sent her to the Center and she became an avid reader. Still carries a book with her wherever she goes.

Sherry

7. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Please help with this 3rd grade math question

What Multiplication Fact Can Be Found By Using The Arrays For 2x 9 And 5x9?

I don't even understand the question!!!

8. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

9. Emma Caroline

I (We) have got arrays
    2X9=18 and 9X2=18
    5X9=45 and 9x5=45

How am I supposed to get a math fact using both?

Would it be 2x5=10?

10. gracey1314

gracey1314 Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but did you guys see The Middle this week? It was about this very subject :mrgreen:

11. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I would like to know using one of my favorite quote from the Jerry Seinfield Show "Who was the ad wizard that came up with this one?" Who in the world thought it to be productive to have a child draw out 60 blocks to solve one long division math homework problem. WTF? No wonder my child only had 4 math questions. It was going to take him all night to draw out those little blocks. Nope. DB taught him his own method.

DB's wife

12. JenJen458

JenJen458 Well-Known Member

My son is in 3rd grade also and I have a hard time trying to understand some of his math too.

Not sure if this is right but here is what I got math problems with a number times 9 would have digits that would equal 9 when added.

2x9=18 1+8=9
    5x9=45 4+5=9
    example 6x9=54 5+4=9

Hope that makes sense.

13. dangerboy

is that 3rd grade math or a bar quiz question?

14. Emma Caroline

I don't know--I just put a circle around it and told him to ask his teacher. By the way--this was supposed to be a review sheet--I guess we should start going to school on weekends since having that break made him not be able to reatin that info:lol:

15. dangerboy

funny!

DB's wife