Driving test route?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by annatinnie, Apr 6, 2011.

1. annatinnie

annatinnie Well-Known Member

Hi:

I am curious if anyone can answer this one for me...it's been years since I changed my DL, and I am finally going tomorrow to take test and stuff (lived in NYC for a long time and didn't have a car so didn't have physical license...just ID).

What's the normal route that they take you and what "skills" are going to be tested?

I'm totally nervous, as I have not had to do this since I was a teen and I'm sure they'll make me take it again!

2. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

When we moved back to NC after living out of state for over 30+ years we were not required to demonstrate our driving skills. Only had to take eye test and written test. Good luck!

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

If you no longer have a valid license you will need to take the drivers test. They didn't make my teenager parallel park, they basically had her go around the block and show that she could do the basics.
    Don't forget to check your mirrors and use your signals.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My parents made practice in a cemetery, figured I couldn't hurt any living beings and plenty of turns and intersections.

5. annatinnie

Hught!! That is TOOOOO funny! I guess you didn't have to worry about anyone yelling...."Um, excuse me, I was the BOTTOM one!" LOL!

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

That is so funny as I did the same thing when my daughter was ready to drive. Every so often I would let her know she ran over someone's foot and it would gross her out. :lol:

Sherry

7. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

Last I heard, if you go to the Clayton DMV. They make you drive across 42 into a subdivision. You do a 3-point turn. And then reverse about 25 yards. Go back across 42 and park back at the DMV.

Thats basically it. No parallel parking or anything. Just fully stop at every sign. And be mindful of other traffic. Takes about 5 minutes.

8. annatinnie

Thanks guys! The roads are again unsafe, because I passed with flying colors and it was just as you said...3 point turn, we went a little further into a different subdivision, but I think it was because we were chatting a little bit, which made me all the more comfortable.

I went to the DMV in Clayton, and can't say enough about how nice they were!

Yeah, thanks guys a LOT! Terrific support here!