what should it cost

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by sassymom, Apr 7, 2011.

1. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

to have a laptop redone, mine is a few years old and has a lot of junk I do not need and I would like to have it stripped back down to basics and have my dvd player reinstalled. What should something like this cost, just dont want to get ripped off

thanks

2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

We had ours basically redone at best buy for about $200

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

4. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "redone"? Doesn't work? Works but is slow? Works fine but you want it wiped and reloaded like new?

What do you mean by "dvd player reinstalled"? Don't have one? Have one but it either doesn't work at all or it does but it won't play movies?

5. sassymom

it works, just slow as dirt. But when I bought it, it came with lots of unneeded stuff that needs to be taken off, and some stuff I have unstalled but I think when I took one thing off it affected by dvd player as it no longer rocognizes that drive and I can not even open the player..

6. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

Let's take care of the DVD drive first...

There should be a release button on the bottom of the laptop. Pull the drive all the way out, blow on the contacts (inside the laptop and on the drive) or use some compressed air, and push the drive back in. Use some force but don't slam it. You should hear it "click" and re-latch. Reboot the laptop. If that doesn't work, the driver may need to be reinstalled OR the drive may be dead and have to be replaced.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  7. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

8. wadespeed1

wadespeed1 Active Member

Laptop

I'm dealing with the CD/DVD issue now as well. I was given a near death Dell Inspiron 1501 with a broken CD/DVD and slower than slow performance. The consensus on the web says a driver re-install may fix the CD/DVD problem. I also found that the laptop came equipped with 512MB of RAM for Vista. I'm on the fence on whether it's worth spending $30 for a 2GB RAM upgrade. I guess it all depends on the success of the CD/DVD driver re-install.

Please provide the model number of your laptop and I'll be glad to share any info that I find along the way.

9. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

memory is so cheap now. It wouldn' hurt either way.

10. wadespeed1

wadespeed1 Active Member

cheap memory

Cheap memory falls into line behind food, shoes for the kids, and gasoline.

Fixing the laptop is more for curiosity than anything. If I had a job and money, the old laptop would be used for ballistics testing.

Man this economy sucks.

11. sassymom

So I paid $175 for a new dvd/cd player, mine was fried, and to have it cleaned off evidently I had 3 different things on my laptop and he installed an antivirus program for me. Didnt think that was too bad!!