Eye Doctors

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Tweetyluvzme, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mulecitybabe

mulecitybabe Member

Stay away from Haines Vision in Smithfield. Just my opinion.

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I think this came up before. Anyway, I've had the same optometrist since 1987...Dr. Robert Harding at Waynesborough Opthamologists in Goldsboro. Yes, a little out of the way for me now, but long story short...I lived in Wayne then...don't now...but saw no reason to change so more often that I'd need to go. Besides, I still head that way regularly on business. He has always treated me right and I have confidence in his expertise.

3. Granky

Granky Well-Known Member

My Eyes Optometry

Hi everyone. I just wanted to chime in on this eye doctor subject. Hopefully it will help someone.

I had been going to Dr. W. Sam Eggleston at the Walmart on 70 for the past three years. He is wonderful and really works with your individual needs and concerns. He's very thorough and I highly recommend him.

Sadly, I had to switch to an optometrist who accepts my insurance (NVA). Walmart (Eggleston) charges $70 for an exam and doesn't work with my insurance. I chose a nearby optometrist, My Eyes in Garner (Dr. Byrd & Associates). I admit I was bummed at having to change and didn't want to see a new person and do all the new stuff again (filling out papers, etc.). However, I was very pleasantly surprised. First, the exam price under NVA was just $38. That really helps me out since I need to cut back on everything I can right now. Next, the doctor I saw (name escapes me now, but it wasn't Dr. Byrd) was super nice and definitely knew his stuff. He was very thorough and took all the time I needed. Their equipment was state of the art, also. I was relieved that they can take the eye pressure measurement now without having to have that machine blow into my eyes that I can never keep open for, like at Walmart (maybe Walmart has changed since last Feb., I don't know). So, I think I can be happy with My Eyes if the experience I had the first time repeats itself each time. Otherwise, yes, I will run right back to Dr. Eggleston.

Another opinion to add to the glasses posts. I have glasses from Walmart and from Zinni. I just ordered new lenses from My Eyes and will post how those turn out when I get them. But, here's what I've found: Zinni's are super cheap, and the two different pairs I ordered I wasn't as happy with as my glasses from any other shop. They are inexpensive for a reason. I didn't like how they fit, and the bi-focal was ridiculously small. It ticked me off every time I put them on. They are fine for the distance part, though, especially since the area is so large to see through (since the bi-focal part is so tiny!). So, I use them for watching movies, night driving, etc. I think Zinni and places like it are great for if you need a single lens and/or you lose your glasses often. Another point, Zinni does have options to add (larger bi-focal maybe, different lens coatings... but by the time you add them, the cost is way more than the cheap frames are worth so you may as well get them from your doctor where they can actually fit you, too.

Thanks for reading... hope someone was helped.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i totally agree with My Eyes, been going to them for about 4 years now and couldn't be more pleased with both their expertise and customer service:hurray:

5. Granky

Granky Well-Known Member

Great to hear, Kaci! That makes me feel even better.

Side note to the Zenni comment... My man, Melon, loves Zenni... and I LOVE him (but I'm gettin' the glasses I want). :-D

6. Granky

Granky Well-Known Member

Update on ordered glasses, as promised. I just got my glasses back, first pair ever ordered, from My Eyes on 42. All is well, lenses look great, smooth edges, good fit... no problems. Omar is very nice and thorough. I will take an excellent titanium frame I already have to them next month for new lenses. Very happy.