AIG Center Closing

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Emma Caroline, May 16, 2011.

1. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

My son attends private school. I chose to send him to private school for a few different reasons. I wanted him to be a school where discipline is taken seriously and if a child can't follow the rules they get kicked out. Unlike in a public school system where disruptive students ultimatly are going to continue to be in the school no matter what. They just don't tolerate any BS and being in the school is a privilege and there are consequences for students who are a problem.

And the class sizes are much smaller so my son is getting more one on one attention. I like that they have uniforms. I like that he is getting religion classes and he is getting a faith based education. I like that there is a high standard for excellence in academics. There are no programs for "gifted" kids or any other labels. Because of the smaller class size and less disruptions from the kids who simply don't give a crap, but can't be placed anywhere else teachers are able to work more closely with the "gifted" or kids with learning disabilities.

I'm also still paying tax dollars to support the public schools in addition to paying his tuition. I don't even mind this. I'm happy to have a portion of my tax money go to public schools to help with education even if it's not the school my child goes to. However, I don't know how people would feel if a portion of their money was going to pay for my son's private school tuition. Maybe they wouldn't mind either.

I can't say that I'm for or against vouchers because in the case of my son's school I can't see how they would work except to have a designated number of spots per class for students who are using the vouchers. And because of the size it would end up being 2 or 3. Either that, or you do away with tuition all together and then it essentially becomes a public school because anyone can attend.

That's just my take from the perspective of someone with a child in private school.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Oh Ok. I think I understand better now. Thanks. So the top 2 percent do get clustered but they are losing their one day a week trip to the AIG Center.

Thats interesting that AIG students in elementary school cant be put in self contained AIG classes. If it has been proven to not be beneficial to the achievement of the school as a whole then that must be the arguement for the closing the AIG center???? Isnt that "self containg" them? If anything I would be FOR a self contained classroom for AIG students every day not just one day to an AIG Center. But then again I do understand to a certain degree that this self containment isnt done in elementary school. Its probably a money thing. If I understand correctly there arent self contained classes for any group in elementary school are there?

DB's wife

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

There are no self-contained classrooms for AIG or any higher performing students in elementary school, because we don't want the other kids to feel bad about themselves. I guess they can learn that life isn't fair when they get older... or maybe not based on some of the kids I have seen.

4. dangerboy

the voucher would work like this: you still pay your taxes. from the portion of your taxes that education monies are taken, education monies are still taken. from those education monies, a predetermined dollar amount (for example 2500) would be given back to you in the form of an official "check". you take the check along with whatever extra cash you need to make up the difference and give it to the private school for tuition. the private school deposits the "check" and gets their money, while the larger portion of the education tax dollars you paid still goes to the local public school system.

if there were vouchers, you'd still be paying tuition above and beyond the tax monies you contribute, just *theoretically* 2500 less. you'd still be paying for the public school system you don't use. don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that it's "taking money from the school system" or that "other people would be paying for my child's private school". the school system may wind up with fewer dollars overall, but they still get a significant portion of your tax dollars without the burden of having to educate the child....

i'm pro voucher, by the way.

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I guess this is the same reasoning given when you hand trophies to eveyone who participated, not just the winner(s).......God forbid that some kids realize that they aren't as good at certain things as other kids.....Can't let little Mickey realize by age 8 that he will be destined to ask the life long question.....Do you want fries with that?

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

That is a great way of explaining it. I think the government doesn't want to help encourage competition because they know they will get smoked.

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I call BULL ****!!! It's not my kids fault he is smarter than the other kids who had the SAME educational material. Teach your kids!! SPANK THEM!! It's to late when you have to be their friend to help them learn. SPANK YOUR KIDS! That's why my kid is in the top 1% of his college in math. Heller!! He was also on ritalin up until HS. WHOOOOOOP THEM! DRUG THEM!! DO what you have to do to TEACH them. I see to much being put on the teachers and parents blaming them because their kids are just ignorant and unable to RETAIN material. When the parents do nothing to work with their kids. BLAME BLAME BLAME...But at the end of the day...It's still your kid. Regardless of who you think is at fault....You are held accountable. SPANK, WHOOP, DRUG. SWD your kids! The Chinese and Japanese, and even Russian children are so much more advanced than your dependant, SLOW, illiterate, spoiled brats. YOU have failed your kids. No one else. YOU have.

I laugh at this weak kung Fu. Your kids are dumb and no one is to blame but the PARENTS. Too busy.

I don't care if you like it. It's the truth. Soap box gone.

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Dude...you are preaching to the choir about parenting. But this isn't about parenting, it's about the quality of education your kid receives in addition to the parenting.

Not all public schools are crap but as a whole they suck out loud compared to private/charter schools. That is why they don't want kids opting out of the public schools system....because they know that competition will expose their flaws.

9. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I think most of the AIG parents will agree with me that the clustering at the base school that is supposed to be happening is not-- and that is why we are frustrated with the way our kids are educated. At least whan they went to the center we knew that they were getting some level AIG education. My oldest has been attending the center since 1st grade. In all those years he has only had one teacher who truly cluster grouped him and gave him differientiated work at school (ie: tiered hw assignments and tests, curriculium compacting for math, higher level reading assignments instead of rather than in addition to the regular class). The rest of the time he did what the class was doing and when he finished faster he was given a folder of worksheets to do in additoin the the class work. The teachers did not take additional instructional time to actually teach a cluster group. A lot of timehe was the only AIG identified (center or not) kid in the class.

And to respond to DB's wife, I know they are lying to me about ability grouping.

If I had a dollar for every lie I have been told about my kids education or for each time the school has not done what they were supposed to do for them based on their special needs lable of AIG, the I would not be on this board complaining--I would have plenty of money for tuition at Ravenscroft!!:lol:

That is the root of my frustration--there is a lot that the school is supposed to do for my kids, there is a lot that is on paper as a plan for educating them, but in reality it does not happen and now the only the only service that they were actually receiving is not available. Maybe other JC schools do a better job of differientiating or clustering but my base school does not.

10. ServerSnapper

It is the same curriculum across the board. Even in the private sector. Same curriculum.

Competition should not be discouraged. It should be encouraged. The spirit of competition is a wonderful thing. It is the underachiever with the soft hearted parents who are the problem. The spirit of the child can be lifted but the foolish pride of the parent can't. DRIVE can help children. Not "Ohh it's ok Tommy, lets go home and get some milk and cookies." Lets drown children from excelling to depravation of character. Your children are smarted than you think they are. Your the problem. Your kids need to be pushed, they need competition, and they need character building.

11. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I agree 100%....

But you can go Gunnery Sgt Hartman on your kid all day long......if the school sucks he/she won't learn as much relative to those that are in better schools. That's all I'm saying.

12. ServerSnapper

It's not fun for kids. They aren't challenged. They are not pushed. They are simply read to and required to hold that intel until needed. What a way to learn. Then they come home. Honey....did you learn anything today? No mom. That's good hunny....Go play your xbox then we will eat.

Dern. Maybe being a single Dad was a benefit for me. I feel sorry for these kids who are coddled and babied and then when reality hits they have learned nothing....Here we are. Posting how its everyone elses fault. Well as Justin Timberlake said....."Cry me a river".

Charter Schools are not for advanced students. They are for children who have social and learning difficulties in public schools. Private schools are better because the student to teacher ratio is 8 to 1. Maybe we should kick all the illegals out of school and get the free lunch program kicked out. Then give these kids some pride.

13. kmollins

kmollins Well-Known Member

My child is served by the AIG program both at the Center and in the classroom. I will tell you, what keeps the teacher from being able to differentiate in the classroom 5 days a week without any pullout whatsoever is the way that they are grouped. The school purposefully do what they consider an equal distribution of abilities in the classroom. That means that a teacher will have AIG, EC, ESL, high income, low income, high parent involvement, low parent involvement, well behaved, and behavior problems in the same class. On paper this sounds fair. Until the reality of having the reality of all those abilities in one class kicks in. Then generally something has to give and usually it is those that require the least amount of maintenance (those who behave and do the required work) that lose out. It would be enough to tax a saint and it is amazing that they are able to keep good teachers. I personally think my child's teacher deserves an award for making it through this year and she is an exceptional teacher!

14. kmollins

kmollins Well-Known Member

I also wanted to add that other districts viewed the AIG Center as being a throwback to the 70's. I liked it and thought it was a great service. I understand the cost issue though. Most districts do clustering and pullout at the base school. Despite closing the AIG Center, they are still responsible for using the AIG funds to give AIG students an appropriate education. Still waiting to hear what that will look like.

15. dangerboy

hahaha charter schools are for children who have social or learning difficulties? you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

private schools have an 8 to 1 student/teacher ratio? where did you come across that number?

honestly, i was with you right up until that last paragraph.

16. ServerSnapper

I guess CHARTER SCHOOL has become a buzz word in this area. Outside of Johnston, Wake, Charter Schools are for these types of students. Check em out. I have personally worked with quite a few in my day. North Hampton County Schools, Onslow County Schools, Hertford County Schools, Weldon City Schools, Martin County Schools, Granville County Schools, Halifax County Schools....The list goes on. Charter Schools are a Growing Trend in this area and are treated like MAGNET schools. But that IS NOT their intended function. They are treated like private schools even though they are funded by public schools. They can receive private money. Charter Schools regardless of what is being said on this forum is being mixed up with Magnet type schools. Or maybe I am mistaken and all of these school systems are using their charter schools in the wrong fashion. I don't care either way. I just know these certain school systems are using this term for their childrens schools who do have difficulty socially, and with their ability to learn.

On a side note. Why have a Charter school when you can have Magnet schools. It makes no sense. Both according to you guys are the same thing. Guess I am wrong. I will pull my pants down now and take my spankin! :boxing:

17. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

18. ServerSnapper

It's a travesty....These people I have worked with are simply retarded.

What is a Charter School?
    Charter schools provide parents a choice in the education of their children -- and it is a public choice. Public tax dollars are the primary funding sources for charter schools. Local, state, and federal dollars follow the child to a charter school. The schools have open enrollment with no discrimination, no religious associations, and no tuition.
    How do you enroll in a charter school?
    Parents must contact each individual school to see if they have openings. If they have more applicants than available slots, an open lottery must be instituted to fill the remaining spots. For a list of schools, please visit http://www.ncpublicschools.org/charterschools/schools/.
    How much does it cost to attend a Charter School?
    Charter Schools are tuition free. They are public schools and funding for the schools come from federal, state, and local taxes.
    Are charter school teachers certified?
    Yes, but with more leeway. The state requires 75% of charter school teachers in elementary school to be certified while 50% in middle and high school must be certified. However, charter school teachers must follow NCLB requirements for highly qualified staff.
    Do charter schools take the state mandated ABCs tests?
    Yes. All charter schools are required to take the state mandated tests. For charter schools test results please visit http://abcs.ncpublicschools.org/abcs.
    What are the requirements for acceptance into a charter school?
    The only requirement to get into a charter school is the availability at the school in the requested grade.

19. dangerboy

so, i'm confused. what's the travesty? that the mainstream, ncae-repeating, establishment education system mislead you about what a charter school is? don't be surprised. the "intended function" of charter schools is to be competition that hits them where it hurts: in their budgets. if they don't perform, more kids and more dollars go to charter schools instead of into their beaurocracy pockets....

charter schools are not part of any local system, so they can't be "used" by counties in any way. they are state system schools, which is why counties don't feel obligated to include them in bond issues or facilities money...they aren't forced to. yet. there have been a couple of lawsuits that ruled in favor of charter schools.

now, the freedom granted to charter schools allows for them to have varying focuses. you could have an african studies focus. you could have a japanese culture studies focus. you could have a foreign languages focus where you offer 6 different languages as enrichment classes. you might think you could have a charter that specialized in ec or iep or whatever, but the problem with that is that charter schools have to undergo reviews every so often, and if they don't perform to the level that NCDPI requires for more than a couple of years, they get shut down. of the 135 or so charters that have ever been granted since charter schools began, something like 37 of them have been shut down. some for financial mismanagement, some for poor performance. when's the last time a regular public school was closed for screwing up financially or having year after year of substandard performance?

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  20. twowaz2fal

twowaz2fal Well-Known Member

It is my understanding from the round table discussion I attended with Dr. Croom that they could close the AIG center and still have enough AIG teachers to place one at every base school. To me, that sounds like a better option. Although, I wouldn't be shocked if that's not the way it happens.