What do you use?

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Rockyv58, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I use the following
    1. Ad-Aware
    2. AVG 2011
    3. CCleaner
    4. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Anyone use any other free antivirus software that may cover items these may miss?

2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

all I use is microsoft security essentials and haven't had nary an issue with anything.

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

avast
    malwarebytes
    spybot

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

what version of windows are you using?
    I have 4 pcs three of them are running different versions of windows and one is running ubuntu. On windows I am running
    1. Windows XP Home
    2. Windows XP Pro
    3. Windows 7 Ultimate

5. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

vista on desktop
    XP on the laptop

6. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

Win 7 Pro Kaspersky AV 6 for business
    Ubuntu Clam AV
    Windows XP MS Security Essentials
    2 Windows 7 Home Premium MS Security Essentials

All except ubuntu also have Malwarebytes installed.

7. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

SpywareBlaster
    SpywareGuard
    MalwareBytes
    Microsoft Security Essentials

All four on all of the personal computers (three towers, one laptop) on my home network.

One tower is running XP Pro.
    All others are running Vista Home Premium.

Also have a Web server (XPP) and file server (2K3 Ent). Web server is running MSE and nothing else. File server has nothing.

8. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

SPYBOT SEARCH AND DISTROY!! very good....

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

home desktop - MSE and Comodo firewall
    personal laptop - Comodo Internet Security
    work laptop - Comodo internet Security
    work desktop - Juniper hardware firewall and Comodo internet security.

Rest of work - McAfee Enterprise.

A while back due to a faulty definitions update we had a punch of pc's on our network get the Windows Defender "virus", didn't have that problem with either my laptop or desktop using Comodo instead of the McAfee.

10. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Win 2K "Pro Dan" ver 2.0 - The last O/S software that the user tells the PC what to do, and not vice verse.

I run xp, vista, & 7 on other computers we have. The women in the house can't do without the bells and whistle software for idiots.:?

PrivateFirewall 7.0
    Spybot
    RegClean

Using expensive anti-virus software is like putting a condom on 'after' having sex. Someone has to get the virus before the code can be written to combat it. If you're in that group, what did you pay for? And do you get a refund for being a guinea pig?

11. Archie

Archie Member

What do professional cleaner/repair people use? It is my understanding that these free programs are for non-commercial use. So are there paid (professional) programs that do it better and faster? Or do the repair guys get paid to sit and watch the program run for 30 minutes?

12. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

Places like Best Buy make have a custom bootable CD that has various tools loaded. They are almost all - if not all - free tools. There are tools like combofix, DDS, GMER, and Junction that are either special removal tools or tools that help gather information about the system. There really isn't a shortcut to scanning an infected PC. There are programs that are better and faster, but they are not necessarily paid. Malwarebytes is awesome and detects many things that commercial AV products miss.

13. Archie

Archie Member

So is it usually legal to charge someone for cleaning their computer with free software? I know that Malwarebytes Antimalware says in their agreement that it cannot be used by any computer repair service unless the customer pays for a full licensed copy of the program. It also say that it cannot be used for commercial purposes, only personal. I'm just wondering if most repair services ignore this?

14. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

The legality depends on the license of the individual software. Malwarebytes does have a technician's license that allows the tech to use it freely as long as it is uninstalled when the tech is finished.