Brazilian jiujitsu

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by oggsmash, Aug 24, 2011.

1. oggsmash

oggsmash Well-Known Member

I saw a post asking about jiujitsu in another thread at a dojo, and I was curious are there any martial arts schools or programs around the area (garner/clayton) that specialize in grappling or BJJ?

2. Wufpack99

Wufpack99 Guest

I've heard good things about TFTC Academy here in Clayton. Not sure Ive heard of any others. Hope that helps.

3. UsrNmsSuk

UsrNmsSuk Member

4. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Isn't Brazilian jujitsu more of a salsa style martial arts? In stead of yelling hi-yah you yell cha-cha-cha?

5. oggsmash

Yeah I saw the post about TFTC, I was just curious as to whether they were the only folks around the Clayton/Cleveland area given the growing popularity of grappling based martial arts.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

No. It's not. You're thinking of Capoeira. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira

Brazillian Jujitsu is something entirely different and quite possibly the most effective self-defense martial art right now (next to running like hell).

7. oggsmash

Do you have a place you train at? Or have you been reading the same things I have regarding BJJ?

8. VCK Dojo also does some BJJ at night for adults. They are behind Smitfields chicken and BBQ.

9. oggsmash

I saw them mentioned in the other thread, they seemed to have it more as a "thing on the side" though and not a primary focus, thus the title of this thread. Do they focus on it? Or is it a part of their larger curriculum (spelling).

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

No referrals. I am just an avid admirer of MMA fighters and BJJ is a dominant discipline in the MMA world. I don't practice, but I know a lot about it. Sorry.

11. oggsmash

No problem, I appreciate the input all the same.

12. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

redtangoso? on the board his shop is beside the Cleveland Contract Post Office / Technology Dr. Redfield martial arts?? I think.
    He's nice.

13. oggsmash

I have seen his name/business mentioned and driven by it, but I was thinking he was Tang soo do, and not so much involved with the grappling styles.

14. oggsmash

So there was a thread with the TFTC place talking about relocating closer to 40-42, this is a bump for the fellow who was saying that so maybe he can repost the new address.

15. Wufpack99

Wufpack99 Guest

I think i saw on FB that they'll be moving to Anna Place over by Austin Pond on 42. Good luck. :boxing:

16. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Vic Coffin Karate/Jujitsu

I did finally visit VCK Dojo (behind Smithfields) and I was impressed by the jujitsu instructor (Stephan). They have kid classes in the early evening and adult classes after that. They also have Karate classes as well which is taught by a different instructor that I wasn't able to meet.
    The cost is 80 per month for 5 nights a week ( if u want).
    They will lower the fee if you are only going to be able to come twice a week.
    If u want to buy the gi, mouthguard, shorts, etc...through them it's 125 and that includes the registration fee.
    I watched the class for an hour and a half and liked it enough that I'm going to sign up.

17. oggsmash

I dont suppose you visited or contacted the other guys (TFTC) for a comparison on rates/instructors did you? I guess I am just going to have to break down and go to see both for myself.

18. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

No, sorry, I didn't. VCK is quite a bit closer to my house and that's all the better because I won't have the excuse of " it's too far to drive".

19. oggsmash

Ah I see, Anna place is pretty close to VCK according to google maps, but I guess right now they are pretty far apart with one of em being on 70. That was one thing I was going to wait on, for them to relocate (since then both would be close to my house) and to check them both out.

20. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Well, post if you do check out the other place after they move.....love to hear about it.