Northeastern PA

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by elims, Sep 14, 2011.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I was actually keeping a close eye on that, my Mom lives up there now. Luckily she didn't get flooded out this time, but she lost everything she owned when another hurricane flooded them out several years ago.

She lived near a river and woke up to water in the dang house up to her knees. No warning whatsoever.

My nieces go to the Milton Hershey school. Did you see the flooding of Hershey Park? It will take a long time to clean that up. :? They lost two bison it flooded so fast in the zoo part, they had to euthanize them before they drowned. :cry:

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I was born in Bloomsburg, PA and family was all from Berwick, Hazelton and surrounding areas. We were just there this summer for a family reunion...at Knoebels. Knoebels was flooded as well. Just shocking to see pictures of where we JUST were to what they are now. I had always heard of the great flood of '72 as I was born in '72. But this is unreal. I'll pass that link. Don't think my family's seen those yet. We were in Hershey this summer too. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Still hard to believe.

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I too am very familiar with that area, my hometown of Binghamton was in just as bad as shape, it has never had flooding like they did last week. :cry: My immediate family was fine, however I had a couple of cousins that lost their entire house and vehicles. ...so sad.

I also went to college at Bloomsburg University and they were severely affected as well with the flooding. :cry:

All things in common..... Susquehanna River.

5. shar824

Hey! I am am Bloom alumni! It was so sad.

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Forgive me, I am geographically impaired...is North Huntingdon (Norwin High School) near the flooded area? My son has to go there next weekend. Just curious...TIA

NVM...finally found it on a map. Sorry for the losses your families suffered in the flooding! :(

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
  7. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I hope your friends up there are all alright.

8. shar824

Just heard that The Bloomsburg Fair was cancelled due to the flooding damage in the region. :cry:

9. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

North Scranton checking in, several friends who lived along the river were damaged by water almost to the second flood. Born in '74 but I remember all the stories about Agnes.
    My Wife's side live in Tunkhannock, and the flooding there is worse han anyone can remember.

10. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Hubby's family is all up in the Binghamton area. Sister lost everything in basement and first floor of house in the JC area. The house had never been flooded and is very old...so no flood insurance. I can't imagine...they have to start from scratch with rebuilding and purchasing all furniture and appliances...

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

A friend is buying a house in Dallas (PA) ... they've had so much rain and due to the floods, it's a good chance to see if there's any leaks, damage, etc ... she's been living in W-B, in an apartment just a few blocks from the river - is tired of evacuating every time the river rises.

My first apartment in Wilkes-Barre still had the basement/first floor wiped out because of the flood of '72 (Agnes). It was a townhouse and the owners just closed it off. We used the back door, which led to the second floor and the rest of the house.

Luvgoose - sorry your husband's fam lost so much!! And with winter coming ... that sucks. :cry:

Cranky - I just can't imagine, the flood waters came on so quickly. What a nightmare!!

12. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I have some family in Dallas but not close so have not heard anything from them. Also have transplant from Wilmington NC to Plains, Pa but she has not responded to ?'s about damage. I have gotten forwards, but no response.
    I have followed this in the papers from up there. We were truly blessed so far this year.

13. go4gin

go4gin Active Member

I was born in Johnson City, but grew up in Appalachin ( showing my age here, but I lived right around the corner from the big Mafia Bust in the late 50's...LOL!). Appalachin, Owego, Vestal Triple Cities were all hit so hard! Still have lots of family up there and family sent me this video showing all the damage:
    http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qid2Y18rzHM