Johnston County Tax Collections

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Bubba, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Bubba

Bubba Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why our tax collections are processed in Charlotte(Mecklenburg County). Why aren't mailed collections processed in Johnston County? Seem to me with cost constraints that we could utilize our own resources more efficiently or better yet keep jobs like this in Johnston County.

2. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

It saves us tax money for the payment to go to Charlotte. The Bank the county uses has a centralized process for collecting bills for their customers and then posting the payments to the account of their customers, in this case the county. This saves the county from having a staff to process the payments. It allows the county government to put their staffing to good use providing services instead of "non-service" processes.

3. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

So to preserve jobs here in the county, forget convenience--go to the county tax office to pay your taxes. Just another form of contracting out work which was done right here at home at one time. Be sure to tell the clerk who processes your payment you are trying to keep her job for him/her.

4. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I am all for keeping jobs in the county but, was that time before the western end of the county started bursting with newcomers/houses/cars/thousands more tax bills? Are you willing to pay more in taxes to have them processed here again? Is that the best use of our tax dollars if they can get it done cheaper in Charlotte, thus saving money for all of us here? I guess I will drive on over at $3.50 per gallon to tell the clerk that I am "saving his/her job". I am sure they will appreciate that.

5. mordorboy

Why wouldn't you want government to utilize support services that are less expensive and allow those government employees to function in positions that add value to the citizenry? For example, money for that position could be used to do any of the following:

Operate 2 cashiers at the landfill to make citizen trash hauling easier
    Work in the jail to process prisoners faster
    Work in the school system as a school nurse
    Fill potholes on the roads
    Mow the roadsides
    Investigate tax payment fraud
    Etc.

My point being these are functions that require a person in the county limits...why pay for government services that can be done faster, cheaper with technology? This is part of the government waste problem that has certain political parties and news show hosts foaming at that mouth about government.

6. Bubba

Bubba Well-Known Member

Then I suggest that the county use a local bank. I'am sure that they have the same capabilities that they do in Charlotte. We are not in Bugtussle, USA you know.

7. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Not trying to be right, just realistic. This is not the Johnston County you and I knew growing up here, that much I know for sure. I have no idea how the county decides who processes collections, but I would bet the growth over the last ten years has demanded a better way to handle the paperwork, thus the arrangement that now exists. But when the OP names a local bank that can absolutely do the same job at the same price in this county, I will be the first to congratulate him and the county officials for keeping it local instead of outsourcing to save taxpayer money.

8. mordorboy

I'm almost certain they bank with a local bank, who happens to have some of their support functions in Charlotte in addition to their HQ this market. Or by local did you mean a small community bank who can't support the size of the county without contracting out to....yep, you guessed it, that big local bank.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  9. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

I just mailed my Wake Co taxes to a Charlotte address.

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Yep, another example of this...I recently had surgery in Smithfield at Johnston Health (Johnston Memorial to us locals). The bills poured in. I called a local number (934-) to set up payment arrangements for what insurance did not cover, but the payments go to Charlotte for processing.

I shop at Belk in Smithfield, but my Belk card payment goes to Atlanta.

The important thing is to spend your money locally. I would prefer my cost savings go towards collecting payment from those who do not pay their taxes!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011
  11. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

My Town of Clayton bill (electric, water, sewer, trash) bill goes to Charlotte too.

12. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I know this is off topic--but I sure do with my JoCo tax bills were an offer to purchase. Out vechicle tax bill on our truck went up this year to $600 more than we paid the dealer two years ago. If they think that is woth that much I am happy to sell it!

13. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Not me. I walk in the office and pay in person.

14. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

:iagree:

15. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Pay tax bills In Person too...always, with CASH!

16. Bubba

Bubba Well-Known Member

Nazi Polentardmafia

Sounds like you just like to censor and try and run rough shod over ones opinion. Far as I am concern that Avatar you have is obscene and matches your intellect. Its your turn now.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:iagree: You are a terrible influence on us innocent folks!

18. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Please do cover them up as feet get cold easily in this kind of weather. :jester:

Sherry

19. Bubba

Bubba Well-Known Member

No need to apologize to me, you're nothing more than a spec of ****that a fly wouldn't even land on.