Beef or Pork Fat

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sirputz, Nov 25, 2011.

1. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Looking to find some beef or Pork fat (TODAY hopefully) so I can grind my venison...I just don't know where to look....
    Any suggestions?

2. TVfan

TVfan Active Member

I remember years ago when we ground our own all we did was go to the grocery store and ask the butchers for it in the meat dept.

3. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I think DR Wells @ Cleveland cuts their own meat, or McLamb Meats & Butchering in Benson.

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

We get ours from Lowes Foods

Congtraz on the deer!!!

5. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Thanks, it was my first buck (4 pt) got a doe last year, which was my first deer.

He will be good eating I'm sure!

6. biggrw

biggrw Active Member

Most grocery stores no longer have the fat as they all receive the meats pre-packaged. The best route is to call Nahunta at the fair grounds and order the amount you need. They sometimes have a few lbs around, but usually it requires an order (You can head to the location by Goldsboro, and they have it all the time)

7. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

We use big slabs of bacon to mix with the venison, works out and tastes awesome as it is so fatty.

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

we don't use any fat when grinding deer anymore, just package the ground meat in 2 lb packages. It is really good to use for spaghetti, tacos, etc that way and no fat added. If we want to use the burger for hamburgers, then we just thaw and mix with fresh mushrooms that have been ground up, adds great flavor and the mushrooms act as the fat to hold the meat together for burgers. Congrats on your deer:cheers:

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey guys, Nate at Terrafin's just called, he saw this thread and wanted me to post that since they cut their own steaks he has some fat if anyone wants it. Just give him a call up there at (919)773-2220 and he will hold it for you:cheers:

Kudos Nate, thanks

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Tell Nate to keep his fat, I got enough of my own. :mrgreen::p

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol: