Mosquito plants

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 2not2, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

We are in the process of making some changes to our yard and play area. I want to put out some adirondack furniture in one spot so I can sit and watch the kids, but the mosquitos are ridiculous here! Has anyone tried any of the mosquito deterrent plants and if so, which ones work or not? Also, where can they be purchased locally?

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

We have not tried the plants, but we usually spray treat our backyard for bugs and mesquito's, and that works pretty good. We don't have small kids, but we do have a dog and what we use if safe for pets. Not sure what it is, I'll have to ask hubby when he's home.

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

<<<<< Would like to know also.

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

5. Granky

Granky Well-Known Member

Marigolds have worked great for us, and better if you plant different varieties of them (tall and short, and different colors). And luckily they can be purchased at any garden center or nursery for fairly cheaply.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Rose Geraniums are another plant to fight off the mosquitos, they have citronellal in their composition. You might also try using cedar chip mulch instead of regular bark mulch in the flower beds around where you want to put your chairs.

I also just read that Basil, Catnip and Lemon Balm are also good for keeping the mosquitos at bay.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Do you mean Spectracide?

8. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Thats what we use in our yard and it is dog safe after it dries completely. I usually keep the furkids out of the yard after it has been treated until the next day just to be on the safe side. Never had any problems and it keeps the fleas, ticks and creepy crawlies away. Dont know how much it repels the mosquitos tho....I dont think the mosquito plants work. My Mom always grew them. I could sit in a chair between 2 plants and the mosquitos would still carry me off. Skin So Soft works better IMHO...