Help w/ gift idea

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, May 15, 2012.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Okay, we're going to a Bulgarian Reunion this summer in Ohio. I'd like to take the 2 hosts a gift from here. Both are women, 2 separate families. Both have families and kids. So, few questions. Do I get both hosts the same gift? Something for the whole family or just them? They did a lot of work on organizing this reunion and are friends of mine. I wanted to kind of get them something that could remind them of NC possibly? Or very open to other suggestions. What would be appropriate? Drawing a blank as haven't gotten a hostess gift in a long, long time. I know it is NOT required but I really do appreciate all that these ladies have done. So, since you guys are always awesome at ideas, I want to hear some gift ideas. Oh, reunion is the end of June. Maybe seasonal gift? Just don't know. Yep, need help. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

2. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Maybe a gift basket full of food items that are specific to NC. I'm sure you could go to the Farmers Mkt and get tons of Made in NC items..those shops are FULL of neat stuff! Like a bottle of Smithfields or Stephensons BBQ sauce, a loaf of Anna's Banana Bread, some locally made jams & jellies, maybe some locally made goat milk soaps...just a start on ideas.. I know I would LOVE to get a basket of stuff like that from an out of state relative or friend so I could sample what they have in their area.

3. daisy8869

daisy8869 Well-Known Member

Maybe a plant or a bottle of wine from NC? What about a piece of pottery from NC? I would think that a small gift to each host would work best.

4. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

I made a basket like that from small things ( I could pack in my suitcase) that I got at Southern Season. Their stuff tends to be a little pricey but they have a good selection of NC stuff.

5. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

A bottle of local wine would be nice, if they like wines....Maybe from the Adams Vineyard? (I think thats the name of the one going toward FV)

6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

:iagree:

Love the 'regional sampler' idea! Support local businesses, AND give out-of-state friends a treat!

7. Abdulina

Like the idea of state items. Where is Southern Seasons? Never heard of them. BBQ sauce is great as well. Keep the ideas coming. I think two small gift baskets would do the trick. Is there any place to get maybe a little fact book of NC to go w/ the stuff? Nothing fancy of course, something simple. Thanks again all.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

8. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Instead of a book you could include the latest monthly edition of Our State Magazine-it's always available in the grocery stores. And actually some of the grocery stores have an area with local NC items like the BBQ sauce. Some of the Moravian cookies (from Winston Salem) would also be good. This weekend I just heard there is a Got To Be NC event going on at the fairgrounds and I'm sure you could find a number of local items there as well.

9. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Cracker Barrell andlocal strawberry fields will have some ideas as well!

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I have used A Southern Season for yearssss (at least 10).....they have awesome stuff! never have I had anyone get anything they didn't love.

11. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

:iagree:

12. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

I aint no smart feller on Bulgarian culture but I know this has always been a big hit everytime I give em...

[​IMG]

"Look ma, no hands"

13. Princess

Princess Member

I just made a gift basket of NC things for my mother-in-law for mother's day...we put wines, jams, a potted flower, and some breads from Anna's!!! Anna's breads are fabulous!

14. Abdulina

Oh that is just TOO FUNNY! I may have to use that one on another occasion. Have an uncle that would get a kick out of that one. LOL.

Seriously thanks everyone for the ideas. I think a gift basket from NC would be great. I may actually get to do this on time for a change.

Stephanie-- mom to 10