Computer virus

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 1pittsburgh, Jun 4, 2012.

1. 1pittsburgh

1pittsburgh Well-Known Member

My daughters computer has a virus on it. I think it is the SMART HDD virus. Does anyone have any recommendations of a place to take it to get this virus removed. The place in downtown Clayton charges $100 a hour. Do not know how long it would take to get this corrected but would like to look around for somewhere cheaper if possible.

2. mudd77

mudd77 Active Member

3. 1pittsburgh

1pittsburgh Well-Known Member

No I cannot download anything. This virus hides the register so it appears everything is gone. Cannot connect to the Internet.

4. daisy8869

daisy8869 Well-Known Member

Try to see if you can boot your computer in safe mode. You should be able to bring up the menu by hitting either F8 or F10 within ten seconds of the first loading screen. Then look for a boot options menu.

If you have the restore disks, you can use the same menu above to boot from them and restore your computer.

If you are able to get into windows safe mode, you should be able to use system restore to "backup" your computer to before you got the virus. Then run a full scan of your computer and registery with an anti virus software.

Whatever you do, do not take it to Best Buy...it will make the $100 an hour seem cheap.

5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Sounds like a root kit. Depending on how bad the worst case scenario is a total machine wipe and rebuild. Total data loss.

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

7. ServerSnapper

Here is a tip for everyone. ALL machines have Smart HDD's inside. It's not a new technology. It's just the public knows about it now. This still will not help a root kit. Sorry.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Smart HDD is the name of the virus fool.

9. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

oooo no you didn't,,,

10. ServerSnapper

It's also the name of a technology OLD fool

11. countrydan

countrydan Well-Known Member

If you have not fixed the problem, I may be able to help. Send me a personal message and I will give you my phone number. I am retired and do a lot of computer work for free.

12. countrydan

countrydan Well-Known Member

fine, forget it

You could at least reply to my offer.