Heavy Equipment at Hwy 42 and Cornwalis

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I saw four or five pieces of heavy equipment being unloaded at the intersection of 42 and Cornwalis this morning. I know there have been plans for shopping centers here in the past. anyone have an idea what they might be doing?

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

New Waterline going in towards Walmart!?

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

sewer main.. to pump station near the bridge..ie.. corner lot I assume being developed soon..

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, but they usually lay out all of the pipe well beforehand and I haven't seen any of that.

5. BuzzMyMonkey

as I said... Sewer

6. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

What happened to Six Flags ???

7. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

It's on the way. All we have to do is hold our breath.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Update: They put in the stone skirt to knock the mud off the heavy equipment when it hits the roadway and they had surveyors out there this morning.

9. BuzzMyMonkey

Yeah that is called a Temp drive/ construction entrance..

10. UsrNmsSuk

UsrNmsSuk Member

Today they were actually clearing the lot just past the intersection going towards Clayton.

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

They cleared a huge amount of land there today... I was floored when I drove by and saw all that work done on a Sunday.

12. lynkrn

lynkrn Member

They are working on a storm water drainage pond. I was told that a Sheetz will be going in next.

13. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I saw that as well, I was thinking they must have a huge budget to do that. There was easily a dozen pieces of heavy equipment clearing out 10-20 acres of land there on a Sunday. Sunday work doesn't come cheap. They must be trying meet a quick deadline.

14. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Better than Six Flags!:hurray:

15. jesse82nc

Looks like they graded out a big part of it, for a building and/or parking lot. And made an access road to Cornwallis Road as well. They were getting ready to go home when I passed today. I hope it is a Sheetz.

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Hate it for those Austin Pond residents who are backing up to that property... I drove by today and it looked like they cleared right to one houses property line with no buffer.

17. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I think common courtesy would be to leave a buffer. I'd be upset.

Sherry

18. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Developers do not have "courtesy" in their vocabulary! Only $$$$$! Johnston County Planning Board and County Commissioners could have required a buffer. I wonder if homeowners attended any of the meetings?

19. jesse82nc

Does this have anything to do with why they drained Austin Pond so much? It's down at least 10 feet from a couple months ago. I've never seen it anywhere around that low in 5+ years of driving around there.

20. jesse82nc

Maybe not, a statement from Sheetz: