Early Voting

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Emma Caroline, Oct 26, 2012.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's all you've got. Ok then. Here's another one. :roll:

This thread was not about political parties. Some of you just can't help yourselves and are a big part of the reason this country is in the shape it's in.

2. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Called BOE today and was told that the machine had jammed and that another machine was brought in and all ballots were scanned. I guess I have no real way of knowing if my vote counted but it s my fault for leaving the situation. Oh well. Lesson learned!

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I voted tonight at the church in the old Winn Dixie store. No line, no hanging chads, no problems. I would have been happy to show my ID, I vote legally.

4. BossRotton

BossRotton Well-Known Member

I placed mine in the machine w/o any problem.

5. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I voted yesterday. It is weird that all you have to do is give your name, birthday and address. If you knew someone who hasn't voted yet, you could "vote" for them. lol

6. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

I was thinking that, too. Hmm...maybe I should vote for my daughter, who recently moved too far away to another state....:p

Nah, I am thinking maybe the people who work there would recognize me. Especially since I asked them if they wanted to see my ID. I wasn't trying to be a smart butt, I simply assumed ID would be checked.

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I really don't understand why that's "weird". As long as I have voted, I have always had to show them my drivers license (which contains all that info. and that's my point).

:confused::confused:

what am I missing?

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

You're missing the point that (if I understand correctly) Allioop did not have to show his/her driver's license. S/he could have just rattled off a name, dob and address of just anyone and, presuming that person is on the list and had not voted, could have voted under that person's name.

9. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

As long as I have voted, I have NOT shown ID. When asked for it, I then question whether it is a legal requirement to do so. Since the answer to that is no, I then vote without showing ID.

10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Thats not something I'd be so proud of...

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Back when I was being indoctrinated by the John Birch Society they were adamantly against government identification documents, but now that they need to suppress the vote I can understand that flip-flop!

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I ain't buying that folks just walk in any place and vote....they have to check your name off, look you up, etc. I've always been asked for ID and I am old. Been voting for 29 years.

13. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

The fact that you have always been asked does not mean that ID is required (it isn't**), nor that everyone else has been asked for their ID.

** In NC Voter ID is not required (an ID is required to register to vote, but not to vote). There was a legislative vote in favour of voter ID requirement back in 2011 that did pass, but Gov. Perdue vetoed it.

http://www.ncsbe.gov/content.aspx?id=143

14. HeidiB

HeidiB Active Member

I just voted and wasn't asked for ID...and she had me confirm my address but then said my birthdate and asked if it was correct. Would be super easy for someone to vote for someone else. :neutral:

15. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

Actually, I voted a week ago at the JCC Cleveland Campus. I walked in, gave my name, and when they couldn't pull it up immediately (weird last name) then the lady asked me if I would give a date of birth to look it up that way. I gave her my DOB, and then she asked me if the address they had listed for me was correct, which it was. She then stated, "Your favorite number is xxxx, right?" I was confused, and it was the two digit month and two digit date of my DOB. I asked her why that would be my favorite number, and she said, "Because we're NOT ALLOWED to really ask you for your birthdate, but sometimes it can help us look up your name."

I've never been asked to show ID to vote, and it's been so many years since I registered that I don't remember whether I had to show it then. Technically, I only had to give my name and confirm my address. I wouldn't have had to give my DOB if my stupid last name wasn't two words instead of the way I intended it to be when I changed it after remarriage. (I meant to keep my maiden name as my middle name and then have the new last name. Instead, I have a first name, two middle names, and a last name... unless it's listed as a first name, one middle name, and two non-hyphenated words for the last name.) Lerd. One day I'll change it...

16. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

if this is the case then why have I received several voter registration cards that all I am required to do is sign and send back in the mail?

17. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Don't know, all I can do is provide a link to the correct info.

From the link I provided above:
    For most voters, no ID is required. If you are not a first time voter, or at the time of your initial voter registration, you provided your North Carolina driver license number or the last four digits of your social security number and that number was validated, you will not be required to show ID when you vote. Also, you are not required to show your voter card. However, if you are a first-time voter and you did not provide your North Carolina driver license or the last four digits of your social security number when you completed your voter registration application, or one or both of those numbers could not be validated, then you will need to provide ID the first time that you vote

It appears, from the way I read it, that you can technically register without an ID (hence the cards you've been receiving), but the first time you vote, you will be asked for ID to confirm. After that, you no longer have to show ID. If you did show ID when you registered, you won't have to show ID when you vote the first (or any) time.

18. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

I was just asked who I was and info... NO request for any ID.

19. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Same here - I even offered my driver's license, but the woman said it wasn't necessary.

20. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Just voted....nobody in line either. It was awesome.