Violent Video Games

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by countrydan, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Saw this on Facebook

Here is one way to accomplish two things. Protect our kids and giving returning vets a job!

[​IMG]

2. countrydan

countrydan Well-Known Member

Let's both be honest

:boxing:
    You either don't have children or have a shallow understanding of what goes into the making of an adult. It is not what the parents taught, it is a combination of genes, parental supervision and peers influence. Since you want to be confrontational about someone else's opinion, I'll tell you that you are reading way to much from my statements. I agree with what you say, but how about a little tact?:cheers:

3. countrydan

GREAT IDEA!

I'm a Vietnam Vet, trained as a sniper. I would readily volunteer, even though I am a little old now, I can still see perfectly and shoot pretty well. Protecting our children would be an honor for me and a vast majority of Vets.

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

tact, political correctness, not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, worrying that maybe the poor shooter had a tough childhood, or that it was "society's fault" with all the movies and video games and guns blah blah blah is exactly the problem. much of america NEEDS to be shocked by some plain *** talk right to their faces. too much coddling and pussyfooting around issues. tipping point reached. time for the harsh realities....

5. Clif002

Clif002 Guest

I'm not being confrontational, I have a different opinion and am voicing it.

You want to blame violent video games. I want to blame the parents for allowing the children to play those adult rated video games.

You're allowing it to happen, which means you are just as much to blame. Rather than come on here and complain, tell your son to stop allowing your grandchild to play games that you feel are too mature for him. Talk with your grandson about his game play and put what he's doing in a realistic perspective. Give both alternatives to their deleterious activities.

Now, that's confrontational.

6. countrydan

We are still on the same page

Believe me, Cliff, I have tried to reason with his father, who is my stepson. He is an addict, doesn't care. I have asked my wife to get custody, but she is afraid of making her son mad. Go Figure.

7. Clif002

Clif002 Guest

I am sorry for your family troubles, but you do see where I'm going. The video games are not at fault. The fault lies with the parents who allow their children to play games intended for adults.

Think of it this way...

The last time a bunch of teenagers killed themselves by getting drunk and driving, did the people all get up in arms and demand that the liquor industry get shut down? No? Why? Because it is accepted that alcohol is intended for adults and the kids had no business imbibing. Do you go after the liquor industry as a whole, or the adult who sold the bottle to the minors (or the parent who gave alcohol their kid and his/her friends)?

Same thing with the video games. "Black Ops", "Halo" and the rest of them are rated "M" and is intended for adult players. Don't blame the video games when it's the parents who refuse to stand up to their children's tantrums and allow them to play.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

So let me get this straight..........you want to ban violent video games because your son is an idiot? So my husband and son should do without Halo a couple hours on the weekend because your son can't control himself? Yeah. OK.
    :rolleyes:

9. countrydan

End of Replies

I would like to close this discussion because it is getting nowhere. We have people who relish the thought of being right. No point trying to explain or make an argument. Some of us just know everything. This forum is not for me.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Take your ball and go home then. The truth hurts apparently.

11. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Good response and I agree!

12. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Well I had BB guns....I did shoot my friends, I shot anything that moved really. Even shot my dad once. Right in the right butt cheek. Look at me now.

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

14. Clif002

Clif002 Guest

Do you think the NRA is to blame?

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I think they are as much to blame as the entertainment industry.

16. Clif002

Clif002 Guest

I would have to agree with that statement.

17. oggsmash

oggsmash Well-Known Member

I would too, in the sense that neither is to blame a bit.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

So you both feel the NRA is full of crap?

19. oggsmash

oggsmash Well-Known Member

I feel the fellow leading them is a bit of an empty suit. I think the media and general public do not realize there are several, very large Gun rights organizations other than the NRA. But the NRA and core principles full of crap? No. But I am not much for leaders who make reach up the rear end excuses that they think people want to hear instead of addressing issues head on. Sort of the same reason I do not care for our POTUS.

20. arkpals2u

arkpals2u Well-Known Member

Interesting coincidence....my son wrote his junior paper and did his senior project on this exact topic. His thesis was that it is more environment and upbringing than the video game that influences behavior. His product was short stories giving young children ideas and positve ways to handle their anger , humiliation or negative feelings without resorting to violence. He is an avid gamer himself and would never get the idea that what happens in the game would be something he should go do in real life. As someone stated earlier he knows the difference between a game and reality. And I dont believe games like Halo have a character going into a school amd just shooting up children.