Highway sign on US 70 Garner

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gcoats3, Jan 11, 2013.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

On Wednesday the State erected a hugh hwy sign on US 70 about 1 mile east of Auburn-Knightdale Road. On the westbound side of US 70. This is one of those hugh Interstate type electronic signs. Seems totally out of place to me. Someone in the sign business getting some of our tax dollars. Does anyone truly believe there is a need for this sign?

2. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing! It seems that they'd atleast put it back closer to Clayton where you have some choices about taking a different route. I agree, someone got some tax dollars to waste. Just like the 50 "no parking signs" that were on the exit to 70 from 40.

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

There has been put up near the ABC store on 70 in Clayton for a few weeks now.

4. HidesinOBX

Sounds like that's a better place...didn't realize they added another there. Wow, we're getting big city!

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

They would get more moneys worth by having dedicated traffic reports on the radio.

6. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

That only works if the traffic reporters have people out on the roads. I think all they do now is listen to the scanner, watch the DOT cameras on the web, and watch Google Maps. Too many times I hear something mentioned on a traffic report that was never a traffic issue in the first place, or was cleared out long before the traffic report.

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I am talking about DOT traffic reporting on a dedicated AM channel via all of the cameras and sensors they have all over the place.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Taxes my butt!

I expect you to send your personal checks directly to me!

9. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Yeah, that would be good. Since the AM channels have limited coverage, something that would tell you what's coming up in the next 1-10 miles along the interstate.

10. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Those no parking signs were put there to keep 18 wheelers from pulling off and parking there on their way to one of the food distribution places in Greenfield. They would park there to wait until a delivery dock opened up. I know they have Domino's, Papa John's and Golden State Foods (McDonald's) commisaries/distribution centers in Greenfield.

11. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

That sign is on the east side of US 70. What can that sign tell anyone? Where could you go at that point. Bev must have received kickback for these signs!

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Or Fred.....:lol:

Sherry

13. HidesinOBX

Yes, Butterball is there too. Never realized that was a problem, thanks for the explanation!

14. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

Newer GPS units incorporate several sources to build a traffic map of the area around you from cell phones, road imbedded traffic counters, the Inrix Network, human monitors, etc.

15. EngNCSU

EngNCSU Well-Known Member

These signs are probably related to all the roadwork NCDOT is about to start doing to I-40 and I-440 in the next year or so.

16. HidesinOBX

Do you think that it has something to do with the extension of 540?

17. jdmchic00

jdmchic00 Member

i work right there on 70 east at viztek and was talking to one of the guys "erecting" the sign. He said it's for the new 540 that's coming.. he said that it's expected to be complete by the end of next year.

18. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

LOL... no way in hell.. well maybe the sign.. not 540

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  19. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

yeah... we won't see 540 intersecting with 70 until sometime next decade! :jester:

But we did go under the 70 bypass on Barber Mill Rd and it did look like there is another one of those signs up there too.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  20. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

LOL