Cornwallis to Close

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by canesfan, Apr 4, 2013.

1. HeelCQ

HeelCQ Member

They are probably demolishing the entire bridge and building an entirely new one, not just resurfacing the road.

2. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I understand that, I've seen that done by closing off half the bridge and rebuilding from the ground up. It is possible, depending on the underbelly structure. I'm assuming it isn't possible in this case.

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

They are probably going to do like they did with the Market street bridge over the Nuese. Tear it completely down and build it completely new.

4. HeelCQ

HeelCQ Member

My bad. I have never seen it done the way you mentioned. I didn't know you could rebuild the entire bridge while leaving one lane operable. It would be nice if they did it that way.

5. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

You were probably right originally,, this bridge couldn't be partially removed and rebuilt as it is now..

6. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

This will be a nice little break for me. I live on the north side of 42 and pull out and left onto Cornwallis every morning. Sometimes the wait can be unbearable. This will reduce the traffic a bit.

I'm still very irritated the county and state decided to break New Bethel (Church) Rd. several years ago when the Clayton bypass was built.

7. EngNCSU

EngNCSU Well-Known Member

Most bridges are built with one solid bridge deck so repairing or rebuilding would be very rare, at least in NC. It is also faster to replace it without having to deal with traffic.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Here, here. Amen. Ditto. You said it, brother! Preach it! Word.

9. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

update on bridge

I recently sent an e-mail to NC DOT to see if they had a date when the bridge would be closed and if there would be sign notifying us of the date. Here is the response:

The Contractor will close the road sometime after May 27th. In advance of the road closure, waterline relocation work will be done. When the actual road closure will occur will depend on how long the waterline relocation takes. Yes, we will use a sign to let everyone know when the road will be closing.

Wendi Johnson NCDOT

10. 42Local

42Local Well-Known Member

We anticipate the Contractor will begin work on or around June 3, 2013. Prior to closing the road the Contractor has to construct a bus turnaround and relocate water and sewer lines using lane closures. No lane closures will be permitted between 7 AM – 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM – 6 PM. This work may take a month +/-. While not 100% sure I would anticipate the road closure beginning around the beginning of July. We anticipate that the road will be closed for 120 days which would allow opening around late September or early October.

Corey D. McLamb, PE
    Resident Engineer

11. C me Now BMM

what sewer lines? You sure there is a sewer line at this bridge?

12. Smudger

Smudger Well-Known Member

sewer lines were put in 6-7 years ago by a local contractor-FACT

13. C me Now BMM

Where does this sewer line come from and where does it go? So I guess it's a force main?

14. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

If the road is going to be closed for 120 days from the beginning of July, the it wouldn't reopen until late October/early November. If the full project is 120 days, then the opening timeframe seems correct.

15. 42Local

42Local Well-Known Member

Work To Begin Monday On Cornwallis Road Bridge Replacements.
    Lane closures may begin Monday, road closed late June/early July.

The NC Department of Transportation will begin work Monday on the replacement of two bridges on Cornwallis Road in Johnston County, southwest of Clayton in the Cleveland community.

A $2.4 million contract was awarded in April to S.T. Wooten Corp. of Wilson for the replacement of the bridge on Cornwallis Road over Swift Creek, as well as the bridge on Cornwallis Road over Mill Branch Creek.

Motorists should expect lane closures beginning as soon as Monday on Cornwallis Road at the location of the bridge over Swift Creek. The closures will enable crews to begin water and sewer line relocation in preparation for the replacement, as well as construct a turn-around for school buses. The work is expected to take up to three weeks to complete. Cornwallis Road at this location will be down to one lane, with flaggers directing traffic through the construction site. Lane closures will not be in place from 7 until 8:30 a.m., and from 4:30 until 6 p.m., Mondays through Fridays.

In late June/early July, crews will close Cornwallis Road for the replacement of the 41-year-old bridge over Swift Creek. The closure is expected to take no more than four months, weather permitting. Through traffic on Cornwallis Road will use North Shiloh Road, Cleveland Road and N.C. 42 to travel around the closure.

Once the Swift Creek Bridge is complete, work will begin on the Mill Branch Creek bridge. Cornwallis Road will also be closed for this replacement. Through traffic on Cornwallis Road will use Cleveland Road, Old Drug Store Road and South Shiloh Road to travel around the closure. Crews have 105 days to complete this replacement project.

Both bridges are classified as structurally deficient. This means that while the bridges remain safe, they require repairs and were built to design standards no longer used for bridges. The bridge over Mill Branch Creek, which was constructed in 1951, is also classified as functionally obsolete, which means that it is safe, but needs to be replaced to meet current and future traffic demands.

Because of their condition, NCDOT had posted a weight limit on each bridge. On the Swift Creek bridge, single-axle vehicles and trucks weighing more than 14 tons were restricted from using the bridge. On the Mill Branch Creek bridge, single axle vehicles weighing more than 20 tons and trucks weighing more than 26 tons were restricted from using the bridge. The new bridges will meet current design standards for width, shoulders and railings, and will not have posted weight limits.

16. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Key Point:
    "two bridges on Cornwallis Road"

Both bridges will be replaced on Cornwallis, at nearly the same time... Be Alert & Aware!

17. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

At nearly the same time? Looks like first one then the other!

18. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I wonder if replacing those two bridges is just the beginning of them adding exit ramps to Cornwallis at I-40. I remember seeing on 4042.com years ago that DOT planned on making a SPUI at exit 312 but before they could do that they had to put exit ramps at Cornwallis to help divert traffic off of Rte 42 at I-40.

19. roygolf

roygolf Well-Known Member

I don't think they will start work this coming week. If they do, they will need their water wings and inner tubes................it's deep down there and will be very soft and muddy for a while.

20. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Agree- Weather Delay...