Johnston School Board Not Playing Fair??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by PoohBear, May 2, 2013.

1. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Lol.

2. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

+1

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

What happened to the good old days when we would drive our trucks to school with guns hanging in the gun rack in the back window?

And yes I can remember doing this growing up in high school here in JoCo.

4. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Mental deficiencies.

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Rules are rules and laws are laws. However, there are times when you need to look at the intent of the law and invoke some common sense. If the story is accurate, the kid should maybe have to write an essay on gun safety and everything should be dropped.
    No felony, no safe school, just a stupid lapse in memory that he tried to correct the right way.

Where the problems come in to this, is that if they let him off, the next time some punk is caught with a gun and expelled, the ACLU will jump all over it.

6. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

OR what about that incident already mentioned...

where the asst principal "screwed up" and pretty much didn't get anything done. There were students involved with that ordeal as well :

After questioning several students, the gun was reportedly found hidden underneath the fender of the vehicle. Two students who found the gun allegedly showed the firearm to two other classmates. None of the four students were charged in the 2011 incident (quoted from WTSB)

And I see where it states allegedly but I'm sure that was a typo :lol: in the sentence. I know speculation on that but ..... geesh.

7. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

9. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Its called zero tolerance. the stupidest thing ever.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

This has gone national. Thanks Joco schoolboard, once again!

11. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

But why did zero tolerance not come into play when an assistant principal knew she had a gun in her car and left it there while students at the school worked on her car, thereby endangering many lives? Why was she not arrested and charged with felonies? Why were the school's hands not tied then? A three-day suspsension does not come close to how this young man is being punished. Just another big mark in the negative column in my book on the JC public school system.

12. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Two words:
    DOUBLE STANDARD

13. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

From what I understand, the difference is a federal law requiring students who bring a gun onto school property to be expelled for a minimum of one year and be reported. Not sure why the law is different for students than administrators?

14. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I so agree and it's been that way for years!

15. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

FIRST TIME this has been brought up.......

FACT......or fiction????? :?

16. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

Really? This is what our NC law says:

NCGS § 14-269.2. Weapons on campus or other educational property . . .

(b) It shall be a Class I felony for any person knowingly to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school . . .

(f) Notwithstanding subsection (b) of this section it shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor rather than a Class I felony for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind, on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school if:

(1) The person is not a student attending school on the educational property OR an employee employed by the school working on the educational property . . .

The way I read that is if they are NOT a student or NOT an employee, then it would be a misdemeanor. If the ARE a student or ARE an employee, then it would be a felony. Am I perhaps reading it wrong?

Regardless, the police were not even called on the assistant principal so no charges were ever filed. Unfair however they want to paint it.

And does anyone have a copy of the district policy? I would like to see how they have it is worded to make it okay for someone other than a student to carry a gun onto campus. Honestly, would they not call the police if I took my gun onto their campus?

And further, were they not invaded this student's privacy by listening to his private telephone conversation? Or is there a law or policy saying that all such rights stop where school campus starts?

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  17. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Nevermind

18. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

The Gun Free Schools Act

).45 The revised GFSA, effective January 8, 2002, requires that states receiving federal funds under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (as amended by the NCLBA) have laws requiring local educational agencies to adopt a policy that expels students for a minimum period of one year for bringing a firearm to school or possessing a firearm at school.

19. nycool

nycool Active Member

Two Thumbs Down Johnston County School System

Maybe the Boy Scouts can help us elect a new school board next election and if the criminal charges aren’t dropped, a new DA.

Zero tolerance means: We are to sorry & lazy to put any thought into our decisions.
    Zero tolerance means: We can hire idiots to run our schools because reasonable thinking and decision making skills are not needed. After all there is a Zero tolerance policy in effect.

20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

If he was arrested, the gun was surely taken. If it were loaded, the news would have reported it.

I personally think nothing should have happened, it was an unloaded gun that he remembered was in his truck and initiated the retrieval of by a responsible adult.