Has anyone taken their child out of public school

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mingomama, May 3, 2013.

1. mingomama

mingomama Well-Known Member

to either home school or put in private school?

DS is doing very well grade wise, but I don't like what is happening in the public school system and how it is impacting him, his attitude, etc. I'm an involved parent, and a former public school teacher.

Just curious if anyone has made the leap from public to either home school or private and how it worked for you and your child(ren).

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

My 2 kids, now 17 and 19, attended Johnston Christian Academy (now closed) from pre-school to 8th-9th grade. My daughter graduated with high honors from Clayton High last year, and my son will be graduating this year.
    I can't say enough good things about giving them this foundation, and was blessed to be able to provide it for them. There were the same problems there as in public school, though probably not as prevalent. My kids always made good choices in their friends and who they hung around with, and I'm a firm believer that this is what truly keeps kids on the right track. Teach them to make good choices, and make them pay the consequences when they don't.
    All this being said, don't expect the school, ANY school to do YOUR job. Schools should just be teaching the curriculum, although today even that is suspect. They should provide a safe place for your kids to learn, and if your kids bring from home the proper skills and mindset to do this, they will flourish in any environment.
    Christian (and other private) schools are great choices for if you agree with the theology and your kid has the disposition for it. Too often they are used as a reformatory for kids who have screwed up in public school, and this hardly ever works.
    Home schooling is a great option if you have the time AND disposition to do so. I know many wonderful kids who have been home schooled, although again, there are choices to be made while not in that environment.
    Had the option been available to me, I would have loved to had the chance to send my kids to a charter school. Neuse Charter started up and was adding grades a year at a time, one year behind my kids. I have heard wonderful things about this school, but again it depends on the child, and I also hear they expect a good deal of parental involvement. They are now operating on Buffalo Road in Smithfield, in the building that JCA had built before they closed.
    All of this is my opinion, and may or may not help answer your question. Good luck in you search for answers!!!

3. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Well, I had a bunch to say both as a career educator in JoCo schools and as a parent to two who are almost done, BUT none of it could be said better than dgsatman's post. Well said!! I will add to his sentiment that if I had the choices then that are available now, I would have chosen Neuse Charter for mine! Good luck to you. It is a tough decision no matter what for parents these days!!

4. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Ours are in Neuse Charter and we are pleased.

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Thank you. :)

6. lori-beth

lori-beth Well-Known Member

i took my youngest out while she was in middle school. she is officially homeschooled but we have a tutor that she goes to 3 days a week to do the majority of her work. she also keeps track of her grades and testing for the state. she loves it and is ahead of her grade. This woman takes in a small group of kids. If you are interested let me know.

7. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

We took some of ours out of public school to homeschool. I was shocked when I pulled them out at just how much they did NOT know. Grades were fine in public school that's why I wasn't too concerned. I was saddened and it's taken me about a year to get them caught up somewhat. There are SO many opportunities w/ homeschooling. Truly, many, many choices. Such a variety of things and trust me, socialization is not an issue whatsoever. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Just know, there are a lot of options out there between homeschooling and private schooling and still receive a great education.

Take care,

Stephanie-- mom to 10 (soon to be 12)

8. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

We took our kids out of public school and they are now attending Neuse Charter. BEST decision we ever made. Good luck with yours.

9. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

How you have describe your daughter's homeschooling is against state homeschool law.

§ 115C‑563. Definitions.

As used in this Part or Parts 1 and 2 of this section [Article]:

(a) "Home school" means a nonpublic school in which one or more children of not more than two families or households receive academic instruction from parents or legal guardians, or a member of either household.

10. momtofive

According to the NC Division of NonPublic Education Home School Guidebook:

"Once the parent/guardian each year has provided the initial foundational instruction in the academic subjects, he/she may then arrange with any other person he/she wishes to provide supplemental learning activities in any or all academic subjects desired."

So what she is doing is not against the state homeschool laws.

11. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Core Academic Instruction
    G.S. 115C-563(a) gives the legal deϐinition of a home school. It does not define it by where the school meets but rather by from whom the student receives his/her core academic instruction (language arts,
    math, science and social studies). The only sources of the academic instruction listed in the statute are:
    Parent; legal guardian; or, a member of the household in which the child resides.
    The only exception given is for a two-household home school arrangement. Therefore, the a student receiving academic
    instruction from someone outside of the household would be in direct violation of G.S. 115C-563(a),
    since academic instructors who do not live with the student are not included in the listing of the three
    types of persons.

12. momtofive

ncmom, don't get if you are against homeschooling or if you are just trying to argue, but it is very legal to have others tutor or teach your child when you are homeschooling. There are homeschool co-ops, there are tutors that teach a small group in their home several days a week, etc.

All homeschool parents have to provide exclusively is the common core subjects (language arts, math, science and social studies). Outside that, they can use anyone to supplement those subjects and to exclusively teach any other subject (foreign languages, art, music, etc.). This all comes from the NC Division of NonPublic Education Home School Guidebook. Hopefully the State is not putting information out there that would case a parent legal trouble.

13. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I have taken my kids out. I am a firm beleiver that public schools does not fit all kids--unfortunately Johnston County and the State don't agree with me. I currently have one child in public middle school, one who I am homeschooling and one in private school. They each has different needs and for now that is the best fit for us. I did try Neuse charter--the first year it was open. My oldest had a wonderful experience my youngest did not have a great experience. We pulled them out mostly because of the distance. If that school was in Clayton we would probably still be there. I don't know much about how it is now since it has been 5 years ago.

What are your specific questions or concerns?