Best Cell Phone Plan?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by lgb0250, Jun 29, 2013.

1. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Currently have the ATT family plan with standard data plan on three of them and an upgraded 2GB plan on the 4th.

It just amazes me that there hasn't been a consumer lawsuit against the major carriers that force us to purchase a data plan even though we use nothing but wifi! SIL has no wifi at work and thus the one upgraded plan.

We currently pay about $160 a month for the 4 phones! Any suggestions about lower cost plans out there for the same services? TIA.

2. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Gee, I have two phones and pay 170 a month!!!! You're lucky!

But i agree, why should we be forced to pay for something we don't use. Like Verizon's Share Everything plan....that's ridiculous!

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My monthly bill is typically $170, but last month it went to $260. That is for one phone, consider yourselves lucky!

4. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

My husband got Family Mobile since May,last bill was only $25.

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

T mobile cell towers, WQM famplan....2 phones unlimited voice, text...81 bucks per month all in. We're not heavy users of data, and add web packs for our non wifi use.

6. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

Check out Republic Wireless. Buy the phone, then unlimited everything for $19 a month per line after that. Some limitations that you will need to read about.

They are not a pay as you go or other budget phone company. This is a whole new model for doing business in the mobile phone industry. Based out of Cary, NC too.

http://www.republicwireless.com/

If they still have the refer a friend thing going I can save us both $19.

7. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

I happen to be real familiar with the plans. One big miss is the phone selection (DEFY XT by Moto - not that amazing) however they will be offering some new options on this soon. The other big miss is MMS does not work. And the last issue you may have is they use Sprint Towers. So if Sprint is bad in your area... then they are a no go.

Good luck.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I signed up after this was mentioned some time ago. The MMS thing is not a deal breaker for me. I kid some people that it is mainly used for texting pictures of your 'junk" to other people. Regardless, they are working to resolve the issues and is a top priority. The DEFY phone has been bit slow, but it is ruggedized and not built for speed anyway. While they utilize the Sprint network when not on wifi it is not limited to Sprint, i.e., there are no roaming charges for other networks. The biggest drawback is the lack of wifi to cell "hand-off", but again it you are willing to accept that limitation, then fine.

All in all for the budget conscious who couldn't care less about having the latest and greatest of everything, it is perfect. I was perfectly happy with my old dumb phone, but even with that I was paying $70 for two lines. Now I pay $46 for two, have smartphones and unlimited everything.

Been about a month and have been very happy. I kind of like knowing the company is in NC too.

Now, if only a homegrown cable company could come up with something equally as simple.

9. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

I concur with everything your saying. That is the correct attitude to have with them. They are working on a fix for that "hand off" but if you understand technology you understand how hard that can be. The idea is solid.

:cheers:

10. LETSGOEERS!!!

LETSGOEERS!!! Well-Known Member

PagePlus

If you don't need unlimited like me go with Pageplus. Its a pay as you go service. I have the 1200 talk/3000 text/250 MB data plan for $29.95 a month. I have my two kids on a $12 plan they get 250 talk/250 text/100 MB data. They are on the Verizon network system so works great in this area. I love it and saving some big bucks.

11. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Better yet, the $29.95 plan is going to be allowing 500mb soon (I'm hearing when you sign up or renew after July 10). I just signed up for this plan the other day.

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

The best cell phone plan for me is the one my company is paying for.

In all seriousness my company has a contract with Sprint and the service is spotty at best without the use of repeaters and signal boosters in this area.