Shipping a pet

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Emma Caroline, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

My mother recently passed away and we now have her dog. We already have a "full house" regarding pets but we can keep her dog if needed. My aunt who lives in Texas may be interested in taking her dog but I did not know how to get him to her. The dog is a little too big to go on as carry on per the guidelines with the airlines I have checked. Anyone know of a way to transport a dog to Texas?

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Most bigger dogs go in the cargo hold on an airplane.

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

There is this also, people volunteer all over the country to help pets get to new homes. They map out a route and and then people who are approved volunteers drive segements or legs of the trip. Better than having to put baby in a cargo area of a plane. Its a very organized process.

http://www.kindredheartstransportconnection.org/

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yep. we got our puppy that way. he was shipped from Ohio. =)

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Be careful. I ordered some sea monkeys like this once and they didnt survive.

7. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Some airlines will not allow animals to fly in the cargo hold if the outside temps are over about 70-75 degrees so that might not work for you at this time of year especially sending to Texas. The ground transportation networks are probably the safest if you go with a reputable group.

8. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

a friend of mine, who is local, does the volunteer transport. She lives by the Cleveland High School. I can get her contact info if you'd like. I don't know if they do this, (the group she works for), as I know they do most shelter transports and rehoming. She won't be able to go all that way, but I'm sure there are some who could help.