Scam Alert: Dump Truck Driver Defrauding Homeowners

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmom, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

http://www.1270wmpm.com/

2. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Here's a shovel...take your gravel and load it back into your truck. WOW, that is crazy!

3. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

They stopped at my house last month. I told the guy that I was going to prison the following week for shooting a census worker in the leg, and he left quickly without saying another word :lol:

4. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

My parents were scammed by these people back in February. I have a friend who was scammed just last week. She took pictures of these guys so I'm gonna check them out and see if they're the same ones. When the guy approached my parents, he said it'd be around $200 as well...They ended up paying almost $1500.

Ok, so if charges are pressed on these guys, would my parent's homeowner's insurance cover them?? Would they somehow by a miracle get their money back???

I think it's truly SAD that there are scumbags like this out there....Why can't go out and make a decent living like the rest of us??:banghead:

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I think it is odd that there are still people who would fall for this. There are a number of ways to handle this situation and NONE of them involve paying more money than what was agreed to.

6. glorybee

glorybee Well-Known Member

Yes, this is real

They popped in on me about 2 years ago one afternoon and pulled a fast one on me. I didn't pay the high amount they asked for at first. But I paid too much and I should have called the police. Young white guy.

7. HidesinOBX

I am having a hard time understanding this. If they said 200.00 and dumped the gravel, then came and said 1200.00, why wouldn't anyone just tell them to take it back. If you don't have the money, you just don't have it...how can they force you to pay it. Is there something I'm missing with this scam. They must be pulling some hard core tactics for people to get so intimidated. Do they tell them that they misunderstood the price?

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I guess some folks are more gullible than others and have a hard time with confrontation. I used to be like that. Now............not so much. I'd tell 'em to hit the road. And then I'd call the cops for that nonsense.

9. HidesinOBX

Exactly...my first instinct would be to get a receipt stating the amount we agreed to paid prior to them dumping it and/or why not just call the police from the get go. They would be history!

10. glorybee

glorybee Well-Known Member

First of all, I was sick and in the bed when they rang the doorbell. I was home alone and kind of in the boonies. He acted like he didn't know exactly how much he had until he emptied the big truck out into my driveway. So, I had no estimate or any idea but he gave me the impression that it was only a tiny amount. I was not dressed to go outside and look anything over and I was really sick at the time. It was a tiny amount that only coveresd the very end of my driveway. He then came and told me what I owed. I knew that very minute that it was a scam. I only paid him about 1/3 of what he said. It was my fault. I was very stupid to pay him anything. But to tell the truth I wanted him out of my house. He was kinda hard to get rid of and I was feeling scared by then. The only good thing about it all was I will NEVER fall for it again.

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

If its too good to be true, then it probably is. If I didn't order gravel, I don't want gravel.

12. ditch digger

ditch digger Well-Known Member

I hope they catch them. This is the trash that give legit contractors a bad name.

13. HeidiB

HeidiB Active Member

Arrest Made in Gravel Rock Scam
    A Johnston County man has been charged with defrauding three property owners in a scam. Lige Bobby Braswell, 41, of Willow Springs reportedly told homeowners he had just completed a job nearby and supposedly would offer a great price on gravel for their driveway. But after dumping the gravel in the victim’s yard, he would reportedly demand more money than originally asked for. One homeowner was quoted a price of $225 but was forced to pay $700. In another incident, Braswell allegedly promised to accept $400 for the gravel but inflated the price to $720, according to arrest warrants. The incidents happened in June and July of this year. The Johnston County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating Braswell to see if there may be more victims in the area. Braswell was arrested Monday in Winston Salem and released on a $6,500 bond pending a court appearance in Johnston County. Anyone who believes they have been a victim in the “gravel rock scam” is asked to contact the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office at 919-989-5010.

http://www.wtsbradio.com/

14. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Not to bust yer hump (really!) but these guys rarely pick their marks randomly- they look for victims. People who are alone or elderly or vulnerable in some way; they are usually masters of their craft.

If it sounds like I've been scammed before, yup, that's true. It was a few decades back, and not these guys, but I'll never forget it.

15. 911mom

911mom New Member

Help pls!!

Hey Sunshine!! I am trying desperately to find some help ... I was scamed by these crazy scary scums!! what I really need is help in Finding a picture of some of these guys to see if it could be the same ones that came to my house!! they completely blindsided me. If you do or know where I can see any pics of any arrests or random pics that someone may have gotten I would be so appreciative!! Thank you!!

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Per Sunshine's profile they have not been on this site in at least 6 months. So I would not count on a response.

17. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

If they told me they wanted more money, I would tell them I have to get it from my safe, and pull out my .308 rifle instead and tell them to get lost. They can shovel it back in the truck and take it back if they wanted.