Mulch- Share Price and Delivery Comparison

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by GarnerHome, Apr 22, 2014.

1. GarnerHome

GarnerHome Well-Known Member

In prior years, I have taken advantage of posts that compared the various mulch prices and delivery fees. Thought I would start a new one for 2014 so that we could pool our knowledge and save a few calls. Please add information if you call anyone. Also, if anyone has any information on pine straw delivery, please add that as well.

Red Barn Landscape Services
    2019 Hardee Ln
    Clayton
    (919) 553-6626
    Triple Shredded Hardwood Mulch--$ 23 yard
    Delivery Fee-- $65 delivery fee (for 15 yards to the 10/10-Hwy 50 area)

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I'd love to see prices comparing dirt. We need a couple yards of soil. Calling tomorrow around but didn't know if anyone had a place they might like. Thanks.

Stephanie-- mom to 11

3. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We have used Triangle and Stephenson's in the past couple of years. We have had deliveries and we've hauled our own loads. The problems we had with both were quality, availability, scheduling delivery. And then we tried (can't remember the names the one near Hunter's Mark on 1010 and then the one on 42 near the Bargain - something, they fell short for us too.

In the end we ended up and have now for many years Ogburn Landscape Supplies next to Porter's on 42 919-557-7620.

What we found in the end is that you get what you pay for, they are all about the same price factoring in delivery etc. just knowing the cost of the material isn't the whole story or cost.

With Ogburn we noticed the quality of materials way better than anything we used before, great service (Mr. Ogburn is a true gentlemen), very flexible delivery ( no 2 week waits to get on schedule).

But since you asked $ 50/50 is $25 and cedar mulch is $29

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Had some issues with ants in the mulch from Triangle. I suppose this is somewhat unavoidable, but it is a real problem when you bring in 5 or 6 loads on your own and each one ends up creating an entire new ant colony.

If you factor in the cost of exterminating, then it skews the price of mulch a bit.

5. Leixlip

Leixlip Active Member

We just got a load each of 50/50 and mulch from Ogburns. Lovely man and great service. All I need now is a few strong bodies to come spread it all out for me ;).

6. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

We got some 50/50 mix for our vegetable garden from Ogburn as well,used it last year also and the tomatoes and cucumbers seemed to really like it!

7. davynchristy

davynchristy Well-Known Member

RedWolf Lawn & Turf can deliver pine straw for $5/bale or deliver and spread for $8/bale. They also deliver and install mulch, 50/50, topsoil, etc.

redwolflawn@gmail.com
    919-815-5789

8. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Pine straw

Jones Farm Supply out of McGees Crossroads 919-894-4730. Richard delivered my straw today. Nice clean large bales. 4.00 a bale.

9. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I wish someone local could deliver bulk loads of red lava rock. We put that in place of the mulch when we first moved in over 16 years ago and love it! No weeds, worries about bugs, no replacing it and the leaves from trimming the bushes blow right off. Now wanting to pull the bushes out and replace with something smaller and different and put more lava rock down. Very expensive by the bag up at Lowes!

10. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if he has the red lava rock or not, but check with Terry Johnson - 919-934-4726. He's got the place on Cleveland School Road and has a lot of different stone.

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

For you guys who live over my way (96 & 231) Barham Farms is where I get mine. Good prices. If you need more than just YOUR truck full, they have people with dump trucks that can bring you how ever much you want. price JUST for the truck runs $100 (appx)

12. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

100 bucks. Seems a tad high.

13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I was thinking that too. Their mulch would need to be considerably cheaper than the others. I dont remember exact numbers, but I want to say that the last time I bought from Red Barn, they delivered for free if you bought 10+ yards.

14. GarnerHome

GarnerHome Well-Known Member

Ogburn

We went with Ogburns 919.557.7620

--Double Shredded Hardwood Mulch $18 per yard (we prefer to triple-shredded b/c it does not discompose as quickly
    --$35 Delivery fee

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I agree!!! But it's not THEIR truck. They refer that part out. I got it last time for $6/yd. I get 24 yards at a time. Total I've gotten 4 Dump Truck Loads.
    It was cheaper than running DH's truck up and back 40 gazillion times AND they dump it RIGHT where I want it!