DOT Public Meeting for 40/42 and Cornwallis

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by aphorista, Jun 8, 2014.

1. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Well, the best way to get anything done about anything would have been to incorporate about 10 years ago. We have ouselves to blame for that. Our own planning solutions would have been going into construction right about now.

<Sorry for the sour attitude>

2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I think the I 40 exit @ Street of South Point in Durham is that type of interchange.

3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

when I 40 was built, they should never have allowed that first stop light where McDonalds/Food Lion is to be that close to off ramp. Once that was put there, there was no hope of smooth traffic flow.

Ive seen on a Saturday where it takes 30 minutes to get from Waffle House to Wal mart on 42.

4. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Sorry to burst your bubble cranky, but that incorporated government would still have approved most if not all of that commercial development along the 42 corridor just for the tax revenue. As for that diamond interchange, you all will be retired before that gets put in place.

I agree with Harvey, Johnston County is mostly responsible for that mess.

5. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Harvey moved in.Would someone please tell the county that since Harvey is here we must now stop all growth. He doesn't like it. While they are at it, tell them to ask him how to fix this problem he helped create. He knows how.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

You are correct that it is a more modern type of interchange, but not quite like this one that is proposed.

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Thanks, but an incorporated town can have more focus over their own area and can develop a master plan to follow. Whereas the county has to adopt a more one-size-fits-all approach to development. The commercial tax base that already exists would provide more than enough operating funds to operate a small municipal gov't. Many local businesses were for it. Unfortunately, the horses are out of the barn and any new fledgling municipality would have a whole lot of work to do to correct issues (mainly through attrition, which takes a looong time). This was the main reason/focus of the study group for incorporation that was formed 6 or 7 years ago (and promptly disbanded due to lack of leadership). County leaders were practically begging the area to incorporate, but they cannot champion it themselves.

Blight happens when no one is really in charge.

8. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

9. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm 100% correct, but it appears that option 2, which creates an exit at I-40 and Cornwallis Rd, would wipe out the "Go Play Outside Now" play park near the intersection of Cornwallis and Old Drugstore Rd.

10. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I almost forgot to go. What time is it at?

11. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. :jester:

12. Rockyv58

English is my second language I speak American!

Very interesting the exit ramps

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  13. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

It looks like it would take up some of their land, but not "wipe it out".

Driving through 40/42 tonight, I was thinking the same thing. I thought that when they do improvements, they should close off part of Glen Rd (the road you're talking about) so that you could only make right turns onto it from NC 42, and then remove the light. To get back on NC 42, you would have to go up to Technology Drive, where they should put a light.

Well, looking at the proposed plans again, it looks like they had that in mind, too, but went even a little further. The plans look like Glen Rd will no longer intersect with NC 42, and Technology Drive at NC 42 will become a major intersection (with a light, of course). 3 left turn lanes onto NC 42 toward I-40, and two right turn lanes toward Cleveland Rd. NC 42 itself will have a median barrier between I-40 and Cleveland Rd, so no left turns (except for Technology Drive). So in that regard, I think this will actually help traffic a lot to get through the area!

Of course, this will make McDonalds and the businesses on Glen Rd a little harder to get to. I'm sure those businesses will be protesting these changes hard.

14. Rockyv58

I like the idea of the Diverging diamond interchange @ exit312. Even with watching the video I am still trying to wrap my head around it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverging_diamond_interchange

I also like the thought of having an exit at Cornwallis.

They were showing another idea of redoing exit 312 and adding an exit at Cleveland school road. If they had the exit at Cleveland school road, would that road then become as congested as Highway 42?

If it doesn't become congested I say add the exit at Cleveland school road and at Cornwallis. Also rebuild exit 312. This way we will have enough exits for future growth. Just a thought.

15. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a good solution to all the traffic on 42/40/Cornwallis/1010!!!! They just keep building and building!!! Cornwallis is terrible going from 1010 to White Oak and Back!! And Cornwallis and 42 has SO many accidents. So an exit ramp at Cornwallis and 70 will only back log what is already on Cornwallis,(it is only a 2 lane country road, lol...) and same for 1010!!!! HELP!!!!!! :(
    I do think a road going to Walmart from 1010 somewhere without having to touch the 42 would be nice :)

16. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

I for one hope they put in an exit at Cornwallis, but end of day, its just more area for them to develop in a small area.

17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I was waiting for somebody to bring that up, I was thinking of the same thing.