Plumber

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Can someone suggest a very reasonable plumber. I have noticed that my toilet is rocking back and forth or side to side. I thought just tightening down the bolts. But when I took the caps off the nuts and bolts were completely rusted, Now it leaks when I flush. I figure the toilet needs to come off and new nuts and bolts put in.

I would do it myself but afraid I would do more damage than good. I can assist if anyone is good at replacing bolts and such.

Thanks

bob

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

You will need a new wax ring as well if you pull the toilet to replace the bolts. No worries, as the ring comes with bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSlyrzpUUTQ

It's pretty easy, maybe a 30 minute job if you have never done it before.

$6

http://www.lowes.com/pd_334956-320-7514_4294639565__?productId=3327730&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:iagree: I have done a couple of them in my day myself.

Make sure that the underlying board still has integrity and take better aim in the future!

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

:iagree: And watch picking up the toilet bowl as there will still be water in it that can spill out.

They make an extra thick wax ring if there has been any buildup of the flooring on which the toilet sits since the initial installation too.

5. Rockyv58

Went to Lowe's and got the wax ring and it came with the nuts and bolts Had the guy tell me how to do it. It seams easy enough but. I know if it is easy it always takes me hours instead of minutes and totally frustrates me.

6. Rockyv58

I got the extra big wax ring. Do I need something special to scrape off the old ring?

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

My husband used a putty knife,or some kind of scraper if you got one,good Luck!!

8. Rockyv58

I bought one of those hacksaws that Rich Trethewey would use, but i foget do I cut the bolt below the nut (on top of the porcelain) or do i cut the bolt between the porcelain and the floor?

9. Wayne Stollings

Whichever is easier. Once they separate it is all the same. Be careful not to scratch the finish too much.

10. Wayne Stollings

:iagree: That is how I did it too

11. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

We learned that the hard way many years ago,it was like Niagara Falls w/o the beauty :ack: I just could not believe where all that water was coming from :lol:

12. Rockyv58

Oh I learned the hard way also. Water all over the place. This is it was ty d bowl blue. Now my hands look like smurf hands. I got the new wax ring on and one of the bolts went down the sewer. Had to get new bolts. I did find that when they initially set the pvc connector plate for the toilet it is turned 90 degrees in the wrong direction. The locking wholes were at 12 and 6 instead of 9 and 3. At 9 & 3 had 2 short slots to put the bolts in. Regardless I got it to work.

A question though. Some of the old wax ring is stuck to the linoleum floor. Is ther an easy way to get it off the floor other than scraping and elbow grease?

thanks every one for your input.

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The easiest way is with a blow torch, unfortunately there are some side effects.

14. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Buss Plumbing can take care of that for you a whole lot easier. Steve Buss 919 889 2061. Good honest local plumber.

15. Wayne Stollings

Actually never had to try it, but I have been told a hairdryer helps to loosen the wax's grip.

16. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

17. Wayne Stollings

18. Wayne Stollings

Spoke with a tile installer friend. He said he uses mineral spirits to remove the residual "sticky" feeling, but some of the Goo-Gone type products might work. Just be careful there is no damage potential by testing in some inconspicuous spot.

19. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Wouldn't under the crapper be a inconspicuous spot. LOL.

20. Rockyv58

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I thought about it and I figured the wax from ring might be like the wax in a candle. So I boiled some water and put it on the wax and then used a scouring pad and was able to scrub it off. Then I just took a rag and dried the area.